What is bothering you right now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BeastRider, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    My brother-in-law is 6'1" (maybe 6'2"). He's already had knee surgery from growth plate separation due to his size.

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure there are a lot of blokes in Scotland and the nearby England who would do it for free. Well, at least the breaking part...

3. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Well...I wouldn't exactly call Daily Kos "national news" and as for "incredibly terrible"...I'd venture a guess that there's a *ton* of activities much worse than what was reported at Clemson going on in most major universities across the country...

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It's on CNN as well. That was just one of the articles I happened to read as well. (Clemson Fraternity Hosts "Cripmas" Party, Amidst Rising Racial Tensions on Campus - CNN iReport)

As for terrible, for context there were several large gatherings around campus in wake of all the police brutality and killings recently. Clemson's an overwhelmingly white school with a lot of history of racism (hell, one of the reasons Clemson was founded was because University of South Carolina was open to black students) and Greek life is pretty bad as it is as far as their behavior goes. If anything, it's in bad taste to have such a party, since they've done this before in wake of racially-related activities (the same sort of party was had just before MLK Day one year).

It's not like there are riots or anything here. But this prodding isn't really helping.

5. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    LOL @ Cripmas.

Well, firstly, they are doing it wrong. Crips where blue. Too much red in a lot of the outfits in the pics. That could be confusing in reality.

Secondly, you'd think an institute of higher learning would teach about the error of subscribing to double standards. If blacks on campus put on a "Cripmas" party, it would be Kosher. (<--- See what I did there?). But that predominately white students, most of whom think they are approximating an aspect of "black cuture," are doing it, then it automatically becomes...

*Racism*?

Looks like they are having fun though. And a lot of non-blacks love "gansta rap" and its associated culture. One girl in the pic is wearing a shirt with Tupac on it. Why can't they be allowed to enjoy gansta rap culture? Are they mocking it? And if so, so what? It's only one subset of African American culture.

This blog writer needs to get a grip and get off the gripe culture train. It's last stop is the boulevard of broken dreams at the corner of unrealized potential.

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Normally, I wouldn't be too bothered with it (and yeah, I did notice the wrong use of red, lol). The difference being the demographics here.

Back home, the first high school was majority black (it was in the ghetto; city gerrymandered the gifted-and-talented program there to save the school from No Child Left Behind). There were gangsta-themed parties by students there as well; hell I went to some. Good fun, as you describe. Though at least they got their colors right :p.

But here, campus is massively white and Greek is almost 100% white. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that, when they did other cultural/ethnic-like parties in the past (mostly Asian- or European-themed), they were alright and didn't overly focus on negative aspects of the culture (e.g., there wasn't a "Starving Indian", "Irish Terrorists", whatever party, referring to India's massive poor population and the IRA respectively). Though to target gang culture specifically?

You should know I'm not some PC warrior. Though for this, the timing is suspect, imo.

2.0™ and turqoisegirl08 like this.
  7. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Racism is indeed a reality to one extent or another, but in truth, the greatest perpetuation of racism in the US is by the hand of the those whose rhetoric seems to rail against it most, namely, the media, pundits of certain persuasion, and grossly affected and rhetorically entreched academia.

2.0™ and ajkula66 like this.
  8. ajkula66

Reputations:
    Another media outlet with a stunningly see-through agenda...Faux News of The Left, if you will...

Well...while it might very well be in bad taste, I see nothing wrong in mocking the "culture" that is presented by gangsta rap...in which it's cool to be a gang member and all the females are b*****s...

And there is *never* a good time. Unless one wants to look the truth in the eye, and start talking about black-on-black crime, which that "culture" glorifies in so many ways it's not even funny.

My $0.02 only...

2.0™ likes this.
  9. Thierry19

Thierry19 Coffee enthusiast

Reputations:
    What?
    I'm 6'2" and its not the kind of tall that brings you all kind of health issues.
    I've played sports my whole life and my knees are still good!

Step666 likes this.
  10. ajkula66

Reputations:

You should've met my wife - who is 5' 10" and *all* legs - when she was your age or thereabouts. She was into stilettos back then, and quite a sight, in a good way.:biggrin:

One of the moments that I'll be holding on to while I'm leaving this Earth is her stepping out of her high heels so she wouldn't be towering over me - we're the same height - in our wedding pictures.

Women...:radar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.