What is/are your dream car(s)?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. That's why I chose it. It's definitely within reach. Play your cards right and you can own one. :thumbsup:

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Realistic ones - allroad quattro 2.7T low-range and R34 GT-R unmolested (well not that realistic :D ). I know that both of them are nightmares to keep running, but I love them and I hope that while one is in the garage, the other one would be running :p If the new GT-R had manual option it would definitely be in the top 10 list, but it doesn't and has some other drawbacks as well and I do hate them for ditching the straight 6. How much I hate anything other than manual? I stopped reading about Porsches ever since it was confirmed that the new GT3 is lacking this option.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The GT-R wouldn't work with a manual because the DCT sits on the rear axle. Initial reports of the GT-R stated a manual transmission didn't pass emissions, don't know how untrue or true that is. At least you guys didn't get the American Allroad, that was an absolute nightmare (twin turbos failed, adjustable suspension failed, high reports of transmission failure). Why they didn't that car the German spec turbos, a proper manual transmission, and a normal suspension, boggles my mind. I don't think the Skyline was that much of a nightmare to maintain, of course not many people keep their Skylines stock. Sad times the RB26DETT uses a timing belt. Porsche's PDK is actually really good, and the GT3 is a car that sets records/puts down numbers. Cars with dual clutch transmission are just faster than traditional manual transmissions. Of course some people buy a GT3 to enjoy their weekend/track day and enjoy driving a good stick shift.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The Corvette is transaxle (well not AWD of course) and manual, but the emission might have something to do, although a technology like the one in Corvette could help to pass (forgot how it was called, when the engine is warmed-up and you are not accelerating hard it makes you go from 1st to 4th, 2nd and 3rd are locked). The DCTs are faster, there are no doubts about that, but I don't want to be the fastest because my car can do so, I want to be the fastest because me AND my car can do so. I really like to shift gears and go from whatever it is to whatever I feel right. That feel when you nail the shift points and clutch release for butter smooth acceleration, priceless. So yeah, I don't even want to be the fastest on the track (that's a lie :p ), but I do want to enjoy what I'm doing. To each his own, but they've cut the manuals quite drastically lately.

The allroad is quite problematic here as well, pretty much the same issues, the transmission one - Tiptronics of that era are something to stay far and away from. Failed low-range pump and you are stuck to whatever you were at - low-range mode, low-range it is and no more than 80km/h (50mph) the other way around is not that painful :) Otherwise the non-low-range transmission is pretty bulletproof (I think it's used in the B5 RS4 as well). The air suspension is one of the things to make me prefer it over XC70 for example as well as the low-range. And while the only fix for the low-range is pretty much hope that it wont happen to you, the air springs have pretty good substitute - Arnott Gen II. Pretty expensive to get them here, but according to everyone - well worth it. As for the turbos - just slap bigger and call it a day :p So yeah - quite the nightmare.

Most of the mechanics I talked to said that they prefer the belt driven engines - you have set time when it must be changed. Most people think that since they have chain, there's no need to look at it, and then comes the failed chain tensioner, the tooth skip and quite the "fun". So I haven't heard anything related to the belt, but I did about oil pumps. In the end, R34 is quite tech packed machine, and we all know what happens after time goes by, it's harder and harder to keep everything running.

The GT3 was meant to be fun and demanding/depending on the driver, they took a fair bit out of both. Also hear this - https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1532938336923100 tell me if he spends more time shifting compared to current F1 transmissions :) For me it sounds about the same time of power loss. There might be a few microseconds difference, but really?! On the other hand the skill is off the charts. And no, I'm not saying that I would ever be anything close to Senna while driving manual.

5. Baka

Baka (・ω・)

Reputations:
    Baka's dream car would definitely be... BMW i8 :D

Not sure why, probably because Baka likes the looks and design

6. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My dream vehicle is much more utilitarian, I want a Volvo 940 or V 70 XC wagon or a Ford Transit Connect in passenger livery. Alternatively, a Subaru wagon will work. 2 seat sports cars aren't fun towing a yard trailer for my surrogate legs (a TiLite Aero Z wheelchair, rigid frame)

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Yeah but those sort of cars...are definitely attainable in life. The Subaru Impreza base hatchback is like....18k. The 2015 MY Outback is maybe like 24k starting price. Dream cars are ones that aren't probably realistic to get at all...like a 3rd row Subaru Outback (though technically that was the Tribeca).

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just move over here, the land of taxes, and a dream car is getting a new one :D

triturbo and Gabrielgvs like this.
  9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Yeah I definitely don't fancy VAT, and getting taxed to death, but Europeans definitely get more options, and MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. God it's so difficult to find stick in anything in America these days but certain sports cars, and low end trim of cars.

triturbo likes this.
  10. rtnlsltn

rtnlsltn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.