What games can the M14x not run?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Fallout4, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tyler27

tyler27 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well you can force the nvidia card as default in the nvidia control panel but idk if it fixes all issues

2. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:

it works for most games but not all games(GTA 4 as an example). With the bios mod you wouldn't even have to do that ;) all you would have to do would be disable the IGPU, and everything would run off the gt 555m. :)

3. tassadar898

tassadar898 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the way optimus works on nvidia you CANT disable the IGP. It uses the IGP to display the image you see even while using nvidia GPU

4. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    I have optimus and it doesn't work that way.... I can disable the IGPU or my 460m and run with the other opposite one. you just need an unlocked bios and I haven't seen one for the m14x :(

5. CGSDR

CGSDR Alien Master Race

Reputations:
    The only games that M14x (or Windows 64Bit) cannot run are those that made for Windows XP 32Bit, like C&C Red Alert 2 for example or any game that is make before 2007.

You said what game can the M14x not run, but you also said that Witcher 2 is "unplayable" <- that mean you Can it just it is run poorly, I think that game is somewhat similar to GTA4, where you have whitelist the game but still unable to get the game to run on the GT555M, I think it is better to ask around in their forum or contact the game's tech support, they might be able to help you.

6. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    Have to agree with the above statement, the GT 555M should not have any troubles running a modern game. That doesn't mean you can play on High or Ultra on every single game, just means you can play a game without really having to check the computer requirement specifications.

7. kimjo42

kimjo42 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been running Civ 4 and Baldur's Gate 2 just fine.

Also, GTA4 runs at a nice stable 25-30 FPS on my M14x.

I've heard some horrible things about Witcher 2, but I've also seen it run at 30-40 FPS on Youtube (specifically on the M14x).
    So there must be a way.

8. goodboynyc

goodboynyc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The only thing I've had a problem running was GTAIV and it ran god awful. I then found out the issues with it so I just let it drop for the moment. Crysis ran okay, I don't see myself maxing it out with all the settings since I ran in the low teens for FPS.

Hopefully we can Max Diablo 3 =3

9. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    I couldn't get GTA 4 to work with optimus either :( its one of the worst coded games I have ever seen.

10. CGSDR

CGSDR Alien Master Race

Reputations:
    Well I'd like to correct myself one thing, I was confuse with the year, I mean any game that is make before 2004 would have some issue with Windows 7 64Bit version BUT if you play with Windows 7 32Bit it wouldnt be any trouble, because on my old Desktop which run on Windows 7 32Bit Ultimate and it can play on pretty much every games (incl DOS game), and GTA4 I can run it on high (and max out nearly everything) and able to get an average of 30-45 fps, as well as on the benchmark it show that my avg fps was 40~45.

Follow this link to my old post, it contain both the commandline and benchmark I ran back in the time I have GTA4 installed -> GTA4 Benchmark and Commandline