What games can a [nVidia® GeForce? Go 8400M GS with 128MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory] handle sufficiently?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by jamespl, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamespl

jamespl Newbie

Reputations:
    Im looking for a laptop that can handle games to an ok standard. Im not looking to be bale to play the top end modern games that are being released but im looking to play games like Battlefield 2 to a good standard of gameplay. A laptop i have looked at has this graphics card in: nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS with 128MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory. Will this be able to handle the games i mentioned. The laptop also has 1gb RAM, Intel core 2 duo processor.

A list of games this setup could handle would be appreciated.

2. sesshomaru

sesshomaru Suspended Disbelief!

Reputations:
    Far Cry and older.... No Crysis/Lost Planet/FEAR though... Fear would run acceptable at low-med settings... Given your configuration, performance would be hit further byt the RAM. 1 GB simply doesn't cut it, if you are running Vista.. I'd recommend at least 2 GB.

3. FREN

FREN Hi, I'm a PC. NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The 8400M GS should be able to handle Battlefield 2 at lower settings (low-mid). I would turn AA off. BF2 is a very demanding game memory-wise. I would upgrade to 2 GB ASAP.

Any DX10 games will be very difficult for the 8400M GS to handle. You'll no doubt be able to play Supreme Commander at low settings, but I doubt the 8400M GS will handle Crysis, just since FPS' are more demanding graphics-wise than RTS'. Any games that came out before this year will be fine.

4. Ever.monk

Ever.monk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, as far as FEAR is concerned with my rig i can play it with near max settings except resolution at a smooth 40fps. But just like Doom3 it still looks great at 800x600. Barely notice its at such a low res. Considering Iv got the powered down x1600 (64bit mem bus), the 8400 should be comparable. I can also play games like Oblivion at med with full res at bout 25-30fps. Company of Heroes at near max 1280x800 with 30fps. As long as you dont expect it to perform like an 8800 you should be happily suprised with the performance.

5. OneHeavyBrick

OneHeavyBrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    "ok standard" is kind of subjective. BF2 is my favorite game :D . If "ok standard" is medium settings, no AA, vsync off, and 800X600 Resolution...then I would say yes, 8400m should get it done, and you should get a descent fps. Of course, it's not going to look that great...but definitely playable.

6. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    or you could just splurge and get an 8600 series card ;) that would cover you.

7. Methodis

Methodis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had a similiar worry, but someone (i forgot who!) reassured me that I could play STALKER on the card and RCT3 :p.

8. osso002

osso002 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stalker was choppy on my Go 7900GS -.-

9. bhav2k1

bhav2k1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am able to play BF2 with low/med settings on 1280 x 800 on my dell 8600. Pentium M 1.6, 1 gig ram, 128 ati radeon 9700 mobility. I think the 8400 should run it just fine

10. jamespl

jamespl Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks everyone i think iwill purchase the 2gb upgrade and that shud do me fine
    thanks for all the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.