What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HTWingNut, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quake Champions. Steep learning curve, but flow state is achievable if you persevere.

cj_miranda23 likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think a LOT of projects are way over-promised. It happens in software all the time. I don't think making light of physical harm threats is the way to go, it's getting ridiculous. This happens all the time with conventionally-run closed-door projects except we never saw what was left on the cutting room floor or removed features because there wasn't this constant need to show plans and progress with the public every step of the way. I kind of liked the times where teams could work on games and remove features without having to make all these early promises before they even start working and answer to hordes of irrationally upset people before things are complete. There's always times it's OK to be disappointed or upset about the state of a game you are looking forward to or bought based on unfulfilled vision statements, but I think when it starts entering the physical harm threats/posturing (even joking) or death threats it's gone WAAAAY too far.

Wasn't there a time where they (either Hello or Steam) were refunding people for NMS due to the wildly unfulfilled promises on launch? If someone was upset about the state of the game they should have done that if that was the case and moved on.

I guess the huge lesson is don't pre-order or crowdfund-back anything. I break this myself though looking through my kickstarter fund list and the fact that I will drop a pre-order on pretty much anything CDPR and Larian cook up. They have a track record of being super consumer friendly and I like to reward that in the only way I can over and above buying it at launch.

I actually don't mind backing things, though, but it's been a long time. So far there's only one project that I backed that didn't live up or the dev abandoned it. Frontiers. The rest were actually good experiences and I was glad I backed them. There's two that have yet to be delivered, System Shock and Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. They are both super late (projects are nearly ALWAYS LATE in crowdfunding.. just have to know that). System Shock thankfully they scrapped and reset the whole thing back to being a straight re-do of the first game (I played it at launch back in the 90s, so this was a nostalgia fueled emotional backing :p) instead of where they were going with it, I'll happily wait for that. Stygian looks like even though it's late it's making great progress to hit their recent stated 9/26 launch goal (two years late). Good to see a small passionate team trying to do something cool though as I'm a big fan of pen and paper CoC and it looks to be re-creating a lot of the mechanics that no other game has tried to do in faithful way with an iso-rpg. Like casting the spells affecting your sanity.. etc. Usually using magic in CoC is not good for your character, for obvious reasons. Man CoC is so fun. :)

EDIT: this is probably the best answer I've heard regading CoC magic use and how it affects chars.. https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/60516

3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sadly this is not true. It was some rumor/myth which got way out of hand. The problem is the game was so unfinished, so far away from what they had promised before launch that it being sold at AAA pricing was completely ridiculous.

Also, I truly believe they purposely made the minimal buggy progression from that time in the game very slow, very grindy so that by the time one realized they've basically been scammed, the steam max trial game time had passed and no refunds were given anymore. There were no exceptions.
    For this, I honestly stand by what I said and even have a sort of wet dream seeing Sean Murray getting his behind handed to him. No regrets.

hfm likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://www.geek.com/tech/steam-is-...en-if-youve-played-for-over-70-hours-1668389/

https://www.gog.com/news/extended_refund_policy_for_no_mans_sky

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I guess it may have worked for some. Still, I had about 15 or so hours when I started requesting a refund but steam wouldn't budge. They just kept quoting the usual policy. Who knows, probably it worked for a short window...

In any case, as I said, it's cool now, having fun with it for a while...

hfm likes this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Monster hunter: world, doom 2016, overwatch lately.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How is it?

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Haven't played too much of it to draw any substantial conclusion (3 hours in, just left the starting location), but so far it seems like it will turn out to be one of the "diamond in the rough" kind of games.
    Best thing by far are the quests, they often have multiple ways to do them. Can't talk too much about combat, as so far I pretty much managed to talk my way though. Graphically and performance wise it looks and runs worse than The Witcher 3, facial animations are also hit and miss (hello MEA!), but voice acting is good.

EDIT: I think this is a pretty good review talking about positives and negatives this game has:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:38 AM