What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HTWingNut, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am very curious, is real time ray tracing actually that choppy looking in that simple of a game with a 2080ti gpu? I was thinking about trying that implimentation software with a few games ever since pascal got ray tracing support. I imagine it would would not work though at this point with a game like skyrim, warframe, or even an older game like morrowind.

So far minecraft has been the most convincing real time RT, but I believe thats even simplier then quake, depending on how its scaled too.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No what you're seeing is OBS on Linux. Not only is it not very smooth, there are artifacts, screen tearing and other glitches on Linux. The game is very smooth on Linux and Windows. Screen capture on Linux is not very good in general due to the lack of an elegant software solution. OBS isn't the best product to use for Windows either, but I haven't found anything that works better for Linux. The being said, I do not think you are going to have a good experience with real time ray tracing with a Pascal GPU. Even a 1080 Ti is going to have trouble with it unless you turn the settings way down. Even on an old game like Quake II the load created by ray tracing is pretty significant and totally independent of the texturing and other graphics quality settings. If I switch from RTX to OpenGL mode the framerate goes from 75-80 FPS to as high as 800-1,000 FPS. Ray tracing looks great, but it's not necessary and most of the GPU options available cannot gracefully handle the load it creates. Even a 2080 Ti is barely enough to do a nice job of it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WWE 2k19. Games have always been good fun with friends.

Also just started Outward with the intention of playing co-op with my wife. Not sure if gunna refund or not. Good game, but has some pretty big design flaws imo.

4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm finding myself enjoying The Sinking City a lot.
    Haven't play it that much but for the life of me I can't understand why gamespot gave it such a low rating.

I like the graphics and general atmosphere (reminds me a lot of Dishonored), and so far the story is cool too.

upload_2019-6-27_13-3-7.png

Prototime likes this.
  5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not familiar with linux, so I am uncertain. I am wanting to get into it with say mint linux, however getting around software compatibility and issues is my main hurdle. Assuming the current trend of performance increase per gpu generation increases as it has in the past 12 years, we should have at least modestly convincing ray tracing in complex environments, but at the current rate I think that will take at least a good 10 years, if not more given how generatiions are lasting longer such as pascal.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    While it looks nice, I do not see ray tracing as being a "to die for" and I view they hype around it that has recently surfaced to be a marketing strategy for NVIDIA. I know there are folks that will vehemently disagree with me on this, which is fine. As I mentioned, I view it as being unnecessary. Ray tracing cannot and won't be the next big thing if it causes slightly older and weaker systems to be incapable of gaming with decent results. There is no way game devs will go along with releasing games that only run fluid on the latest and greatest hardware. They will lose too much money on sales. If you look at the minimum system requirements on most games, they are fairly anemic hardware specs based on current technology. That is by design and necessary for the financial success of game development.

joluke and Vasudev like this.
  7. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I don't give a f*ck about rtx and fancy graphics. I want a game to perform well and good playability. Hate fancy useless crap that only degrades performance in-game (HDR, RTX.. BLUR)

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Man this game is fun!
    [​IMG]

9. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Feel like they really dropped the ball not making it multiplayer. Could've been a sort of Speedrunners / Stickfight hybrid.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Mordhau is quite fun, tho hard...

Sir Killeth Kenneth The First sure looks smashing, and that's just cheap stuff on him :D
    upload_2019-7-6_2-13-9.png

Vasudev likes this.