What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HTWingNut, Jan 28, 2016.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've decided to give VR a go and have an Odyssey on the way. What would you gents say are the must have games? I thought about Skyrim, played it hard back in the day but... 60 bucks seems like too much for a game that can have the words "back in the day" applied to it. I'm fairly open to various genres but a little too old to be interested in undressing anime schoolgirls, that would be about the only thing I'd rule out up front.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    In the meantime since last time I played it, I changed displays and the resolution was different. Apparently if you're running a modded version (I do sort of the same thing) you have to edit the ini to get the starting resolution to switch or it dies. I've got it back to the point where it CTDs on the first launch then works perfectly after, that's good enough for me. Now to break it with more mods.

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Audioshield. No matter how many games I've tried, I always come back to that one. Imagine Guitar Hero, but the notes are flying at you and you have to punch them. Currently my favorite VR game to just load up and play a few games/songs. Also you can add your own songs.

If you're in any way into flight/pace games, Elite: Dangerous is VR compatible and is absolutely brilliant in it (If you've got a HOTAS setup, playing in VR with a controller is a little weird and it doesn't support motion controls).

SUPERHOT VR. Just watch videos of it, it's as fun as it looks.

Those are my favorites. Honorable mention:

Obduction. I can't fully recommend it because I haven't played much, but what I have played is pretty darn good.

Thumper. Might be awesome, might make you sick. Worth it if the former.

If they've worked out the VR specific issues with Subnautica, that one should also be close to the top. I couldn't handle all the weird clipping problems when I played it in VR but it's a fantastic game outside the headset and I will probably end up going back to it.

Most of the climbing simulators are good (not sure which are compatible with Odyssey)

Not a game, but Tilt Brush is great. Think a paint program but you can paint in 3 dimensions. If it were a game it would be in my top recommendations.

Not good but do it anyway: Any lightsaber or lightsaber-like game. They're all crap in terms of quality, but just screwing around with the lightsabers is worth the $3 that they go for on sale.

Also: There are a lot of VR "experiences" that don't really count as games, but are fun anyway. Many are free since they're just showcasing the tech.

Also also: Many/most games can be played either in a theater mode or in stereoscopic 3D with the use of third party applications. I have so far found them difficult to use, but your mileage may vary. Don't bother with fast paced shooters, the latency will make you die a lot.

krabman likes this.
  4. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its running great.

Had a few pauses and odd glitch but generally it's been great on my Surface Book and fps is awesome around 80-90fps.
    The story and writing of the script is sensational. Have to ask why games today aren't like this.

Currently in Act XI.
    Rockstar games you certainly know how to make proper games.
    Great to be playing this once again.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Love it.. all the Max Payne games are fantastic.

rinneh, triturbo and TR2N like this.
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Cancelled my WOW sub till August for next xpac.

To pass the time, I dropped $7 on a Deus Ex:Mankind Divided key to finally give it a whirl since I’ve enjoyed all the previous releases.

Also debating whether to pick up a VR rig and giving it a whirl.

rinneh and TR2N like this.
  7. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

Do it! It's a lot of fun.

8. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't regret jumping in but I'd say it's not ready for prime time with the tech illiterate because the desire to plug it in and have everything work will not be met. There's going to be files to edit, utilities to download, some research to figure things out. I suspect the types that post here have no problem, even a pathetic old man like me got things sorted out although it wasn't without a helping of facepalm. I'm not sure I'd recommend jumping all in with the Vive pro and it's supporting hardware unless the buyer were well heeled.That would be a lot of ching to drop for something that is nothing more than a first gen device with a graphics update. These things feel first gen too so I think most folks would want to jump on the better sorted out stuff which will be hitting shortly. Oh and I knocked over a lamp, which was both injury (busted knuckle) and insult (Mrs Crab was vocal about my mishap).

I will say the first game I jumped into was Tomb Raider. The game starts out in the mansion and seeing Laura standing there in 3D and walking around and looking at her told me all I need to know about the VR concept in general, it's the future, I've no doubt of it.

9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Anyone tried Escape from Tarkov?