What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HTWingNut, Jan 28, 2016.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The text had the exact dialog in Pillars, there were just extra things in brackets explaining the mood and character actions.. [he sighs deeply..]

Have you played either Pillars or DOS2? These aren't like mass effect where every dialog scene is a camera close up on the characters. Not that it's bad, but things like ME tend to look robotic sometimes. It's super expensive to do those things well, and ME ends up a little flat sometimes. Not all of them can have Witcher 3 level skill and detail. :)

Pillars and DOS2 try to stay isometric and bring in a lot of things from tabletop rpg gaming. DOS2 just did a great job of having a DM type narrator fill the colorful gaps and if you've played a lot of tabletop rpgs it brings a smile to your face because it just works.. It's brilliant.

Edit: I don't think I'm spoiling anything with this, but one encounter I just got into there was a strange "disembodied voice" in the turn order.. I was like what is this? Then all it did was speak on its turn in an omnipresent way.. was pretty cool.. this is the closest I've ever seen anything get to tabletop..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    killkenny1 likes this.
  2. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, but now that you describe it I recognize it from the old D&D games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Obsidian have been doing that since before they were Obsidian. "Good" to know that some things never change.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The old infinity engine games are precursors, but they didn't do this type of dialog. I'll leave it alone you wouldn't understand unless you tried it, or have played a ton of tabletop rpgs. :)

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Waiting game...
    Untitled.png

Atma likes this.
  5. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I understand. I just can't articulate it.
    (Yes, I have played a ton of tabletop games: mostly Champions and Palladium FRPG, some AD&D, some more recent D&D, some Shadowrun, some Storyteller, and some others :)).

hfm likes this.
  6. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Kindom Come: Deliverance.
    Finally released on GOG! I hoped they would drop the patch they promised before the release on GOG, but alas, it did not happen.
    Still, the game is astonishing! Spent about 5 hours in prologue, and so far it's amazing , minus constant freezes and lockpicking...
    And the forests, man, the forests!
    [​IMG]

Arrrrbol, TR2N and Atma like this.
  7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I tried Ion Maiden on steam and it plays really well :D

8. Sushi San

Sushi San Newbie

Reputations:
    League of legends, joke never install this game. It's the devil's game lol

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm going through the Max Payne trilogy. Just finished the first game (an under-appreciate gem, IMO) and will get cracking on the second shortly.

TR2N likes this.
  10. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Never looked at first Max Payne as "underappreciated gem." I think it was pretty well received and well known back then.