What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HTWingNut, Jan 28, 2016.

1. smalljenny

smalljenny Newbie

Reputations:
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Started Divinity: OS2.. so good so far, I really like it. I'm not far along yet but some things that seem improved:

- 4K is improved, UI is nice
    - performance seems better while the graphics are improved
    - I really like the narrator explaining unspoken facial expressions and such, nice touch from the tabletop world
    - quests and story is good so far but I've only scratched the surface

killkenny1 likes this.
  3. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've got tons of games I bought but haven't played! It's a common yet bad thing to do, IMO.

Anyway, I'm currently playing FFXII: Zodiac Age on PC. It's been one of my favorites from the main series.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Yup the addition of narrator was smart move. Voice actor (and VO director) did a great job! Definitely brings a unique touch to the game.
    Only wish Obsidian would follow Larian's example and did the same thing (together with full voice acting).

Enjoy the game! It's a great one! They improved on DOS in every possible way, except maybe smithing, it's useless...
    It was a GOTY 2017 for me.

hfm likes this.
  5. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I don't really agree. At least not necessarily. It depends on the game. When a protagonist's character is scripted then full voice work is fine, and can be amazing some times. But when the protagonist's character is defined by me then the voice work damages the game for me. Because, for examples, two completely different versions of Cdr. Sheppard or the Sole Survivor sounding exactly the same is wrong, and none of them necessarily sound like what *my* Cdrs. Sheppard and Sole Survivors sound like.

YMMV.

mtness likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    \

I think we're talking specifically about how DOS2 will have a narrator jump in and narrate unspoken things like an NPC "wrinkling her eyebrow and glaring slyly while gently spinning her dagger on the tabletop" before launching back into the NPC voiceover.. it works much better than the way Obsidian did it where those same types of things were in the text and you had to try to read it while the voiceovers were happening.

It ends up being like a DM is there running those NPC's and giving them more flavor. I don't think I've ever heard the narrator jumping in for the PC's that way but I might have just gotten into it and didn't notice it happening when I have the PCs talk to one another.

killkenny1 likes this.
  7. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Protagonists' dialogues aren't voiced in DOS2.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm playing one of the origin characters (Sebille). I wonder if that changes anything. I'll pay close attention next time I play.

9. killkenny1

Reputations:
    I'm playing Lohse myself.
    As far as I remember (haven't played DOS2 in a while), random PCC phrases or interactions with NPCs are voiced, however in dialogue menu PCC doesn't talk, when you choose a reply option.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hfm likes this.
  10. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is different from "fully voiced". I thought you were describing part of a full voicing for a game, which can be a problem. Depends on the game. But I do see the point: when a voice says one thing and the text says something else? That's bad.