What exactly is "build quality" of laptops?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by D2 Ultima, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raindog_mx

raindog_mx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From your some of your posts I thought you were an engineer! Well, turns out you're like an engineer of the mind huh?

2. NeoCzar

NeoCzar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We're not at that point yet, probably not in my lifetime but yeah that's the goal :)

I'm fascinated by computers because leaving the supernatural to the side, human brains are organic information receiving/processing machines, pure and simple. I believe the breakthrough in psychology (and subsequently psychiatry) might come through the joint efforts of programmers and A.I scientists, before it comes through reverse-engineering millions of years of evolution-spurred higher brain functions or neurology.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think it will be a meet in the middle ;) There is something to be said for understated power, a reason why my old acer 7738G had charm considering it had a 3ghz Quad in it.

4. ryukenden

ryukenden Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess the build quality depends on the model. I own Clevo W860CU and my sister owns M860TU. The W860CU is a little newer but the build quality imho is a big downgrade from the M860TU. Mines are noisy, have more problems and bulkier. the screen is also worse until i got them upgraded. (unavailable at the time).

5. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Wow...I've read a lot on NBR, and though I visit this place (especially my beloved Clevo forum) everyday, I felt compelled to come out of a quasi-retirement and say this (not that my opinion matters much :p): Clevo and Alienware both sell amazing laptops with amazing components, great build quality for decent prices. Let's all just accept and recognize that, and forget about which one is 'better' (let's not turn this into a giant p-ing contest, shall we?).

Getting back to the matter at hand, build quality...From my very limited experience with laptops, for me, build quality boils down to one word: durability. If a laptop can last for years and years, then its build quality is excellent. Aesthetics is an entirely different ballgame. Unfortunately, people want to figure out what constitutes build quality without taking the time to figure out if it's good or not...basically, they want a crystal ball, in which they can look into the future and based on what they see, they can accurately judge whether or not the machine has good build quality in the present, and make their purchase accordingly. Mmmyeah, that's not gonna happen, sorry.

One way around that, as someone mentioned, was to do proper research and to look for problems in forums and such. A great idea, definitely...I do that constantly whenever I feel an itch to buy a new computer. However, you have to account for response bias: people who talk about problems outnumber those who are happy with their systems and don't really want to waste time articulating how good their machines work. Still, it's better than nothing, right?

As a college student (soon to be professional), I have been looking at build quality as one of the highest requirements for my newest laptop. I'm very very happy with Sager's build quality, because I own a 8130 and it's given me literally no problems. It's been used very very lightly (really, it's almost in mint condition though I've used it everyday for 2 years), and I've taken extremely good care of it. Unfortunately, I really can't comment on Alienware because I've never owned one. But I would guess (and this is an educated guess) that their build quality is really good; and I want to commend them on a good job. :)

Mr. Mysterious

6. Abidderman

Abidderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have had an 8150 for about two years or so, love it. However, after reading for the last year about the new models, I would wait until the new release of lappys and read the reviews before I bought another Sager. The EM series seems to have changed the overall quality. I bought my Sager after reading about them for many months, but will wait before buying another since the EM list of issues. Very weak with the Enduro issue on the 15" lappys, and my HM is still running great. I am not a huge gamer, mine makes me money, but I need it to do what it promises. I can hold out until something great comes to fruition, but I am disappointed in the latest series.

I do like that we get the other side of the picture when someone like Neo gives his feedback. Yeah, it could be a bad laptop, maybe one in a thousand, but there are others with issues too. That is where we can get our info and decide what to buy, if we buy and where to buy.

I would not like to have to buy an AW, but if they or MSI ar the only ones that can possibly give us something that disables Enduro, then I would look at them. Fortunately I am a long ways from having to get another, but issues are issues. Quality is quality. I will spend my dollars where I feel the best value is. Right now I do not feel it is with Sager. I hope the next gen is much more like the laptop I bought.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Other than Enduro which is really an AMD issue I'm not sure what issues you're referring to. There's other things like keyboard ghosting and average audio quality, and as with all Sager notebooks, has limited BIOS options, otherwise the EM laptops are pretty problem free.

Build quality to me is fit and finish (how well do things line up), rigidity and flexibility (is it flimsy where it shouldn't be, or rigid where it shouldn't be), and comfort level (screen quality, keyboard/touchpad usability, etc). I am an automotive design engineer and deal with build quality all the time in cars and it's the same type of deal. Some of it is really perception. You can have the finest materials go into something but if the build quality sucks, it's perceived as being "cheap" or "substandard". You can have the fastest and best components in a laptop but if the lid is flimsy, the keyboard is mushy, and panels keep detaching, then build quality will make or break the deal.

8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well see this is where I had made my original decision. I mean audio quality isn't of paramount importance directly with me as I usually use a headset at all times (mainly I'm in teamspeak or livestreaming etc, external speakers are a MASSIVE no-no with these) and keyboards I can get used to pretty easy as long as the keys aren't difficult to press. But I did notice that the P170EM (which was what I originally went for) wouldn't be my first choice. Optimus was a part of it, but then I wanted the 120Hz screen and all that other stuff. Stuff that I saw in the HM version. The P370EM looks to be the real gem of the EM series to me, with its lack of switchable graphics, but even then I think the second GPU and CPU don't need to share a heatsink. Everything else appears to be fantastic about it though.

Either way though, hoping the refresh will get better =D.

9. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree with all of you. Abidderman, you make a couple of great points, and yes, NeoCzar does help us by telling us his/her issues with the machine. The more we know, the better, and I guess I got a little defensive of Clevo because I just love my laptop that much :p

HT, you're talking about what it means to you. I know you're aware that it (ie build quality) means different things for different people. Since I'm about to be thrust into the job market, right now I'm focusing on function over form much more than anything else. I can't afford any luxuries yet, so finding something reliable that will last me through my first couple of jobs will be really important. It's nigh impossible to test the reliability of new machines, however, which is why I'm looking into last gen, like the X220 and the UX31E/UX32A/UX21.

Mr. Mysterious

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are always things to improve and focus on that time should let you work on without drastically altering the price. I think we will see a better audio solution next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.