What does my dog's ear tattoo mean?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by talin, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I *think* I asked this a long time ago, can't really remember, but I'm wondering if maybe anybody has any theories about it? I got my dog from the local animal shelter when she was 6 months old. She was a stray from mexico that was flown up to Seattle.
    I didn't notice until after she was fully grown and her hair changed color that I noticed a tattoo in her left ear that spells "C A R E". I know it's a shot in the dark, but any theories about what it might mean? A google search reveals nothing. I wonder if maybe she came from a puppy mill in mexico, or some place that trains dogs for dog fighting. :\ "CARE" just doesn't make any sense. :confused:

2. hardcorp

hardcorp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hers is in her inner left ear. Interesting link though. She must have had the first kind of tattoo, because it's fading (and she's just over 4 years old now). It was done with tiny blue dots, that spell the word.
    I'd just be interested to know where she came from exactly in mexico, or what the tattoo means, but I suspect I'll never find out. Maybe it was just a random word someone used to identify their dog?
    Thankfully though she was a stray, she has never had any psychological problems, so no evidence of past abuse, thank god.

4. thundernet

thundernet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Canine-Abandoned-Recovered-Excellent Condition.
    Canine- Abandonado- Recuperado- Excelente Acondicionado . .

I am not a spanish speaker myself,but when a friend of mine who is and has worked in animal care when she saw it she regognised it.She is fairly certain about the first 3 initials,and not very certain about the last one(excelente acondicionado.)

5. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow really?????? That's so cool. So she was tattooed after she was brought to the states? That doesn't make sense because I remember when I called the animal shelter where I got her, I asked about it. The officer in charge there remembered her, but said they don't tattoo their animals.

6. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, this is just so cool. Now I'm finding more information. I found the head veterinarian's name and email address and I sent him an email. There is an article I was able to find as well, from the Seattle Times (I got her from the Seattle humane society), where a journalist for one week flew to san jose del cabo in mexico and volunteered for one week at the C.A.R.E. animal shelter. It's all coming together now. :cool: Also, the president of this organization is in California. All I knew was, she was a stray found in mexico, was flown to california, then flown up to seattle. It's all making sense now, this is just so cool. I really hope I hear from the doctor. :) :)

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OMG. I just found more information yet. That journalist worked for the seattle times for 35 years, and has done a lot of volunteer work with animal shelters.
    I got my dog in 2006. Here is a quote from a website where he is secretary.

It all makes sense now. That is soooo cool. :D

I was reading the seattle times article he wrote. If anyone is interested, here it is. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2003573611_cabodogs180.html It's heart breaking to see where my dog might have come from. I really hated dogs before my Cookie came into my life. She is the sweetest, kindest dog I have ever known, and she means everything to me. Because of her I love dogs again, and because of what Ranny Green did, I have her in my life.
    So what do you think? I think the evidence is very strong that's where she came from. :)

9. Tree_Burner

Tree_Burner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you're most likely correct on where the dag is from. very interesting. =)

10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I really hope I hear from the vet at CARE, and Ranny from the Seattle Times. I'd love to have confirmation, and a story of where my dog came from exactly, how she was found, etc. Even some pics or documents would be great. This mystery has bugged me for 3 years since I first found my dog's CARE tattoo.
    It makes perfect sense too. They must have tattooed her ear while at CARE, maybe to identify her in case she was lost/stolen.
    Well if I hear from either of them I'll report back, but I'm thinking this case is finally closed. :) *keeping my fingers crossed* :)
    It's a pity the picture is so small, but to think that's where my dog was rescued and had been spayed before she came to me, right in that building. It's so hard to see the words, but it looks like it reads "Center xxx adoption xxx xxx". Maybe "Canine Adoption xxx xxx". Canine Adoption and REscue? Hmm. :) Hopefully if I hear from them they can tell me what it means. :)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.