what does drive spanning in Vista do?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by hehe299792458, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehe299792458

hehe299792458 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have three HDDs of varing sizes and I want to get rid of all the drive letters. My mobo supports JBOD. Should I use that or the Windows "spanning discs" function? I know for JBOD that if one disc fails, I only lose the data on that disc (as opposed to loosing all my data on RAID0 arrays). Does "spanning discs" function in the same way - not destroying all my data when a single drive fails?

2. fonduekid

fonduekid JSUTAONHTERBIRCKINTEHWLAL

Reputations:
    AFAIK, spanning is a process for dividing / spreading out large volume of data across several storage medium.... and multi drive data spanning is a feature to enable users span the backed up data onto more than one drive... this includes hard disks, shared network locations and so on..

Though I don't know for sure which one is better among the choices you have listed!!

3. Icewalker

Icewalker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're right about JBOD, and you should use that if your hardware supports it.

To answer your other question: Vista's disc spanning is a software-level feature, it just logically concatenates/merges two or more hard discs so they appear as one (huge) drive. Yes, those discs will appear under one drive letter in Explorer and other programs.

But -- again, you're right -- if either of those "spanned" discs fails, all data will probably be lost. It's no RAID or JBOD.

The only good use of Vista's "disc spanning" I see is to work around hard drive size limitations in Vista, that could be a problem for some people.

Hope this helps.

PS: More info on Vista's disc spanning here:
    http://technologynews.ws/597/disk-spanning-unique-feature-in-vista/

4. Icewalker

Reputations:
    You're absolutely right:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_spanning

This term is usually applied to backup software or optical disc burning.

But Microsoft don't care, so they called Vista's logical drive spanning "disc spanning" to create more confusion ;)

From the context it was clear what hehe299792458 meant, though.

5. hehe299792458

hehe299792458 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So Vista's "disc spanning" feature is not a software version of JBOD?

6. Icewalker

Reputations:
    Sorry, I confused JBOD and RAID in my original reply, so when I recommended JBOD I meant RAID.

Both JBOD and Vista's "disc spanning" just concatenate/merge several disc into a logical entity, so those will appear as one logical drive. No data redundancy/failure tolerance is provided.

Yes it appears it is. Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this is clear now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.