What do YOU want to know about cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by bobnova, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    you should post a thread about why Caterpillar is superior to Cummins, so you can make Syndrome happy :p

Modly posted some pictures of his hearse a while back, it looks pretty cool. If I recall the license plate was "sick"

K-TRON

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Well, as long as we all agree that they're both better than a detroit. :p

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Is skipping gears in a manual transmission bad (I red line at 8,100)? I would think that it is fewer changes and would be better for the tranny.

4. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    You can skip gears all you want. I come from driving a manual diesel, so usually you want droop between shifts to be close to 500rpm.
    On a petrol car the shift difference can be more, but you do not want to have extreme shifts, this can put tremendous stress on the transmission.

Lucky you who has a 8100red line. Most diesels red line at 2500rpm.

Another good bit of information to add, is why diesels run slower rpm. The answer is non related to the actual combustion process which some people thick. The rpm is actually governed by reciprocating mass. On a petrol engine, the whole thing can be made out of aluminum to reduce weight, but on a diesel engine, the parts need to be made out of heavier steel to take the pressure and force, so the cylinders have a higher reciprocating mass. On small 1 cylinders, you will find rpm to be the same as a 1 cylinder petrol engine. This is also true up to some three cylinder models. However when you get into the automobile diesels, as size of the cylinder increases, the rpm's need to be less, to account for how much mass their is flying around.
    You could make a higher rpm big diesel, except the parts would have to get exponentially thicker to take the additional stress

K-TRON

5. Mide

Mide Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you had a step-by-step list (with lots of pics) of how to change your own brakes....that would be very helpful.

6. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    GVWR=Max Gross vehicle weight including the weight of the vehicle, passengers and luggage: 4523 Lb
    GAWR FRT= Max weight allowed on the front axle: 2446 LB
    GAWR RR=Max weight allowed on rear axle: 2077 LB

Where do you find the weight of the vehicle itself ?

7. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What vehicle do you have that has a redline of 8100rpm? Acura Integra, perhaps?

8. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    GSR :)

asfdsdf

9. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    SWEET!!! I had a '96 GSR. It was the 4-door (which were homely-looking compared to the 2-door hatchback), but it had that sweet 1.8L VTEC. 170hp @ 7600rpm, if I'm not mistaken. You really had to rev the hell out of it to get to the power, but I was in my early 20s back then and loved hearing it scream!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.