What do YOU want to know about cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by bobnova, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    It's an English car. They drink warm beer.

2. Fittersman

Fittersman Wanna trade?

Reputations:
    Here's another one for you...

I drive an automatic car, but it has different numbers (gears?) that I can use to drive, what's the difference on an automatic car? I usually use drive4, but there is drive1, drive2, and drive3 which I have never really used, should I be using these?

3. Thibault

Thibault Banned

Reputations:
    Well the entire transmission itself is quite different.
    Have a look on howstuffworks for more information on an Automatic Transmission and Manual Transmission.

As for your specific question: the drive4, 3, 2 and 1 are the different gears of your transmission. In your case, it has 4 gears. If you were to set it in drive1 mode it locks your transmission in 1st gear. If you set it to drive2 it will lock your transmission to the first 2 gears. Drive3 locks it in the first 3, and drive4 uses all 4 gears (well that's my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    So you can set which gears you want your car to operate in, but of course your transmission is still an automatic transmission. Most people would just set it to Drive4 and let the transmission do its thing. But if you're doing certain applications you might find it useful to lock your transmissions into lower gears (like if you were pulling a load with your car it might become useful).

4. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    You most often use the lower settings for towing and long hill climbs (think going over mountains where you face 5-7% grades for miles at a time). Some people will also drop down for passing, like with manual transmissions.

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Those are the nice ones that allow you to select any of its gears. Its very nice because you can shift before you start torquing the motor, which is much better on the transmission.

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I modified the one in the hearse (It's not really much of a modification, just had to block a few things with check balls and cup plugs) so that I can select the actual engaged gear at any time. It's not smart enough to limit to certain torque or RPMs though.

It is neat though to watch my tach and fuel readout on the laptop (I have that mounted next to the steering wheel) while I'm accelerating, and shift at the ideal point for it's torque curve. It really hauls on a strip.

7. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ Modly: And whats with this fascination and dedication to driving a hearse ?(not to imply anything wrong with doing so)

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    It's a unique car, so very few people have them to begin with (It doesn't matter how beat up or ugly the car is, people are interested in what you are doing with it), it's a very roomy car (I moved to Oregon using just the hearse. 5 computers, a bed, clothes, my bike, two welders, a ton of other tools... all fit. Even used the bed to sleep on for the drive out), and.... It represents my personality :eek: (I'm a creepy guy that listens to death metal, wears all black, love guns, etc).

All around, it's just a fun car, and since very little is a standard part, I have to make replacement parts myself, which is fun and a learning experience all in one.

Oh, and it cuts down on solicitors/burglars, and nobody wants to break into it.

9. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    O.K. (10 char)

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Just post up a pic of your tat and I think they'll get the idea. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.