What do YOU want to know about cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by bobnova, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fittersman

Fittersman Wanna trade?

Reputations:
    Is it bad to not plug my car in if it's -27C (roughly the same in F I think? - anyway.. it's cold) and then start it? It starts but not as quickly/nice sounding as usual.

What does plugging in your car actually do?

Does windchill affect cars?

Those are two questions that came to mind this morning :p

Maybe a list of things that when you go to the autobody shop it costs you like $500 for them to do, but you could do yourself in a few minutes/hours. Although this might negatively effect your business...

2. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Well the battery has very little charge, the oil is like molasses ... so stuff isn't going to work as well.

3. DefconZero

DefconZero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No it's not bad; don't worry! Plugging in your car (to the electric cable hanging out of the front I presume?) is basically just plugging in a heater that keeps the engine warm-ish so that it's easier to starts, that's all!

The colder it is, the harder it is for the car to start because of all the fluids that are extremely thick, instead of viscous like they are when your engine is running. Nothing bad happens, it just takes a little longer because the fluids have to heat up.

4. Thibault

Thibault Banned

Reputations:
    Unless it's a diesel. In which case your car might not start at all if the temperatures are too low.

And -27C is about -17F.

As for the website, well it really depends on who your target audience is. As a start, I think starting off with simple stuff is probably a good idea. Then build up the content of your site with more complicated things. I think that your website would be weird if you started off explaining the complex things.
    Making some guides on how to perform some maintenance on the car would be a great idea I think. Like doing simple maintenance things (changing oil, brakes, etc) to more complicated stuff would be helpful guides. And a troubleshooting section for some common problems you've seen in cars and how to fix them. That kind of information from a guy who's done this for years would be very helpful.
    My opinion.

5. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    @ Lotus
    Great for a show car or going out for a cruse but not that great for practicality. If you are looking at that price range (I assume new) look at the Acura RL because it is a bit more practical and fun.
    btw: Lotus Elise is my favorite car :) wish I could have one. I like it more that the Exige because no super charger.

@ Tesla
    Not yet, needs a few more years to improve.

Show things that can be done for a car at home with no fancy tools or lots of tool knowledge.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If you've got a block heater then I'd suggest using it when its very cold. It will help it start, prevent it from freezing and cracking your block(your antifreeze should do this, but some don't always have the right stuff in) and if its a diesel then I suggest you do it for sure. And no your car isn't effected by windchill, the reason you are effected by windchill is because you perspire and its evaporated by the wind, thus making you colder. Or, if your car is running then it will cool down better with windchill, but thats simply because its getting more surface area of cold air, if you understand what I'm saying.

7. Clutch

Reputations:
    Wind chill only affects how fast a car gets cold, not actually make it colder.
    My interpretation

And desiels in cold weather should also have a block heater (as stated above)

8. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Heres a biggie: Whats cars have sequential manual transmissions...

Mmmmmm... DBS9......

9. Clutch

Reputations:
    What is a sequential manual? Does that mean you push the shifter forward to go up a gear with non of that finding the slot sort of deal?

Is it ok to skip gears in a manual?

I have a Acua Integra GSR that red lines at 8,100. So some times when I am accelerating go into 2nd get some good revs (5-6k) and then go to 4th (5th is pushing it). Is it good because there are less shifts so less were and tear on the clutch?

10. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I want to know how to find an honest mechanic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.