What do YOU want to know about cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by bobnova, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobnova

bobnova Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've decided to launch a web site explaining cars and various things about 'em, having been a professional auto mechanic for a solid 22 years now i feel i have a decent knowledge base to draw on.
    However, i want to know what YOU the people (heh) want to know about.

Really simple things like how brakes work?
    More complicated like how air temp effects power and economy?
    Highly complicated stuff like how different camshaft lobe profiles effect power and economy at different RPM?
    There are no questions too simple nor questions too complex.
    (As a note: I work on honda/toyota/subaru/volvo-volvo/nissan mostly, if you have questions about a specific american car model i probably can't answer 'em, but it's still worth asking)

Gimmie some ideas :D

Obviously i'll post a link when the site goes live, regardless of whether or not i get any responses to this.

2. Akuma

Akuma Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A few silly questions from a total newb .. would Lotus Elise be a wise choice as my first car? Or is it recommended to start out with something older/cheaper?
    Are there any acceptable electric cars out yet? Like that Tesla?

Thanks. ^^

3. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    I think it would be helpful to show and explain the entire drive system.
    I know American engines and transmissions have to follow a SAE standard for transmission bolt pattern and so forth. Explaining that would be helpful.
    The explanation of a bellhousing/timing cover may be helpful too.
    Also you can say that if you are using a SAE2 transmission and a SAE2 engine, you need a SAE starter flywheel and so forth.
    It may be interesting to get some diagrammatic cut-aways of transmissions, differentials, and transfer cases.
    One thing which interests me is the spider differentials used on tractor trailer trucks which have dual axles in the back. I remember seeing the insides of one at the Mack Truck factory in Pennsylvania but that was a few years back.
    Explaining the difference between a divorced transfer case and a normal transfer case is good.
    AN explanation of axles like DANA300, 344, 400 and so forth.

Their is plenty of stuff to explain,
    If you know anything about Detroit Diesel's I may start asking you questions, because I want to get one soon. Maybe you know the golden place to get cheap parts for them :D

K-TRON

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    How do the internals on both auto and manual transmissions work! I can visualize an engine running my head but a transmission ... no way.

5. WSFrazier

WSFrazier Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    Not to hijack a thread...but probably not. The Elise has a non-standard bumper and a fairly modded drivetrain. It will kill you on insurance, especially as a new driver, and it is not as safe in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Learn in an good manual transmission with full safety features first, then test drive a Lotus in a few years.

For the OP: I'm fairly knowledgeable on cars, but also interested in informal education. I might suggest that you look at creating a site that walks a visitor through the basics of how all the major systems work, and then allows them to get more advanced information on specific parts and features. That way, a newb can get a quick overview (say, what a cam shaft is), but a modder can go more in-depth about things they are interested in (for example, how changing a cam profile changes performance and how to select a cam for their driving needs). That way you could serve the widest audience by supplying deeper layers of information.

7. Harper2.0

Harper2.0 Back from the dead?

Reputations:
    I want to learn about modding my 05 civic. since im a newb im not going to do anything to it just yet, but having the knowledge on how its currently set up, the possible mods, and the effects of the mods would be nice.

8. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Looking for another car to drive to & from work. Something cheap but decent. When I look at cars of craigslist a lot of the cheaper listing state that it has a bad transmission. Am I right to avoid those listing? Also what are other signs to look for when purchasing a cheaper used car? By cheap I mean $3500 or lower and which most of them are above 100k miles.

Another question ... In your experience what car models seem the most reliable?

9. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Try Cars.com, they have some good deals on decent cars there.. ;)

10. Manic Penguins

Manic Penguins [+[ ]=]

Reputations:
    Personally, I think you should talk about the more common and easier to fix problems.

But this depends on what audience your aiming your website at or do whichever you feel most comfortable at or get the most views from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.