What do YOU want/think will be in the M17x R5?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Defengar, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ow, hadn't considered the memory bandwidth aspect of things.... But AFAK, the 560m can drive two external displays at once, a 2500x1600 and 1920x1080, plus the integrated 1920x1080, and 4k isn't many more pixels from that. I wouldn't ever consider gaming on 3 monitors, but the gtx680 can do it- and this year's 680mx is approximately equivalent to a gtx580. Another generational leap like that, and 4k could be reasonably within reach. After all, I can dream!

rMBP display confusion makes sense, I should really start quoting the entire chain of replies....

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I don't know about them 4k displays. I checked out the MBP with Retina displays over the weekend...those things made my eyes cross. :wub:

3. airacutie

airacutie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Absolutelly agree, I would buy such a thing in a blink.

4. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also like the docking idea, not bad

5. brunotacca

brunotacca Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Damn it... CES 2013... Haswell only in June... I think Alienware won't make an R5 in time for me... with my end line is the half july.
    Sad...

6. jiggymf

jiggymf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What i want in an R5, so i can finally upgrade from my R2:

- i want it to get the 'wow what the hell is that' factor back. An alienware used to give reactions like, how the hell is that possible in a laptop. Now thats a bit less, they aren't as extreme as they used to be. they just need to add stuff we all think isnt possible, special stuff. do something crazy like liquid cooling.
    If someone asks me what on EARTH this is, i want to be able to tell him this isn't from this earth, it's made by aliens from outer space as a gift to mankind, to show us their technology. I want it to be extreme,y again so I can say NASA has contacted me if i can lend it to them so they can learn from the hardware. I want that kind of stuff, again. :)
    - updated design
    - dual gpu, ed ^^
    - RGB LED
    - LED keyboard. Lighting with Alienfx was nice 5 years ago, now i want to be able to use my own icons and colors in my keys. AlienFX v2.0, imagine the possibilities in games
    - Replace Touchpad with a capacitive screen. Acts like a touchpad and display in one
    - did i already mention dual gpu? :)
    - addition of cool, nerdy, useless gadgets, technicalities and thingies, not cause you need it, but just because they can.
    - And the utmost important thing i want, is that when I boot it up or shut it down, or even randomly when operating, it makes a transformer like alien sound. I want it to be alive! ^^

Actually, I don't want an R5, i want an R2 v2.

Id also like more Alienware branded peripihirals also. v2 of the mouse, headset and keyboard, and some new stuff. Alienware branded cooling pads with alienfx, external 5" display to use gadgets in where you can monitor stuff, or even have a website open with moves or tactics for a game.
    I just love that kind of useless stuff ^^

Then i want the m18x to also have all of that, but just better, more, bigger and bolder so I have an excuse to get both of them.

7. vs3074

vs3074 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All i want is few practical things.

- Dual gpus back in 17" form factor
    - Increase depth for hdd caddy/slots, so i can use 12.5 drives.
    - 1920x1200 RGB led lcd from r2 or better yet 1920x1200 95% gamut matte display
    - ODD with hot swap. As much as i like slot loading drive, it isnt easy to replace it with hdd on the go. Even alienware would be able to offer second battery/Hdd tray/dual-msata tray (or quad msata tray).
    - Much much much more powerful fans for cooling. Yes they will make more noise at full speed but will push much more air through the hsf fins at the same time.

I beleive these are all quite reasonable and it should be very easy for dell/alienware to accomplish.

8. raclimja

raclimja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    -1080/1440 matte Calibrated IPS
    -ALPS NKRO keyboard
    -carbon fiber chasis(saves weight)
    -quieter fans on full load
    -dual Thunderbolt port
    -better speakers + subwoofer
    -properly working bios(ram overclocking in particular)
    -smaller in dimensions same capacity psu
    -ability to manually switch graphics
    -better driver updates

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

9. funkmasterta

funkmasterta Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would it be better to put on a Thunderbolt over DVI or VGA? Probably 0.1% of the monitors out there support this and probably only 1 in 1000 from that group have actually been bought and are in use.

I would vote for DVI over VGA...ANY DAY!!!

The 3 most common ports that exist on monitors IN USE TODAY are: VGA, DVI & HDMI

Display Port is gaining traction and Thunderbolt is vaporware and will be as useful as having a Firewire port.

10. funkmasterta

funkmasterta Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree, stick it to the chiclet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.