what do you value/would you like to see in a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by pbhenry3, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    2.5" SATA HDD/SSD really helps to store huge volume data like Movies,Music and archives without taking up valuable SSD space. And M.2 gets notoriously hot under lot of writes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was also wondering what pricepoint are you guys thinking on? Because so far I was always interested in a LGA notebook but currently the notebooks with a desktop socket are way to hot, have terrible speakers, terrible keyboard, terrible batterylife, horrible price and are way to bulky.
    Also I would also go for the whole 2.5" drives, because lets face it, NVME are very expensive and having a 2TB HDD for space and an NVME for boot is for the best.

3. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have an idea of costs but its too early for me to say a price for certain yet, At the moment I can only estimate that a base model of the design would need to be listed at a price of approximately $1,200. With the highest end model probably around $2,000. but these are estimates currently.

Vasudev, Starlight5 and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Works for me. Also I just realized that I actually saw you before. I saw you on a stream with Louis on his stream. You were talking about the garbage blade :'D

Do you also have an ETA on when the first prototype is out? Or at least an estimate? I'd assume it would take quite some time.

KY_BULLET, Vasudev and Arrrrbol like this.
  5. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    yes I repair those razers systems but am going to retire from that after this year is over. A version 1 prototype is planned before the end of the year, possibly as soon as 5 months. I am not going to rush it as it needs to meet strict quality standards before production release. I'm also in process of many licening agreements and NDA's which i can't speed up the process on because I have to wait on manufactures to get back to me on stuff and it is seeming to be a really slow process there.

Vasudev, Starlight5 and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Make it more like Clevo P870 series (Have everything in the book). The world is full of thin and flimsy Jokebooks. No need for one more. And we have only one single option today for the performance enthusiasts. The mentioned model.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I have to agree. We need a few more big and heavy high end DTR options with socketed desktop CPU, MXM GPUx2 and every possible modern port option. The P870 has zero competition and is basically a monopoly for Clevo. It will never get any better if all of the other options are thin and light soldered trashbook garbage the market is already saturated with.

KY_BULLET, Vasudev, Arrrrbol and 3 others like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @pbhenry3 I have couple of lappes some are thin/light weight and heavy ones like Alienware. When I pack my back and put my alienware and its AC adapter it doesn't feel heavier at all and in fact its actually light or near equal to my older low end lenovo lappy.
    So bigger and heavier simply doesn't kill portability at all. Yeah battery runtimes will be lower though because you're using LGA chips. One thing I forgot to ask, will the BIOS be made with AMI or Insyde? Will it shipping only to North America only? Will we actually see a laptop BIOS which can be operated using a mouse instead of old keyboard based navigation. It will be complex to make but at least user can feel they do have a BIOS like desktop.

pbhenry3, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    I am most familiar with AMI, but I plan to make the bios with Insyde development tools and i plan to make it with more freedom than your average laptops restrictive bios has. I will include more performance vs power optimization advanced options and other unlocked controls typically not found in most laptops stock bios.

Worldwide shipping is planned.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even I like AMI Aptio better since Insyde BIOS Development Tools are hard to find.