What do you use toughbooks for?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by evenflow153, Jul 21, 2019.

1. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not a toughbook user myself, but what I gathered from your post is these things can take a little bit of oil and keep ticking along. :p

Shawn and toughasnails like this.
  2. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A little bit yes but it's not something I would ordinarily let happen. They are used in workshops because they can handle rough handling, not because they can handle oil.

NB_Neenja likes this.
  3. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Me too lol :rolleyes:

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Let's put it this way...no other laptop can take the abuse these Toughbooks can take.

UNCNDL1 and evenflow153 like this.
  5. evenflow153

Reputations:
    If I am honest I didn’t think this thread would make it this far! I thought the group of 7-10 people that own toughbooks that are on this forum would post then go unheard of and then me finding the on person on it and finding the one bastion of hopefulness. End of random talk-about-that-and-address-that-stuffp

toughasnails likes this.
  6. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I admin servers and been doing stuff online for quite some time now. When the EeePC 701 came out around 2007 I thought it looked cool to have a laptop that allowed me to do most of my work on the go but with such a small form factor. You could practically shove it down your cargo-pants pockets and it made Ultra Portables at the time look unwieldy. So when I got to the store to check them out, the clerk told me "and it runs Linux", I nearly had a fit. I threw my money in his face and ran out of there immediately trying to mod and customize it. It had a small 7" screen, a functional but cramped keyboard and everything needed to get the job done that didn't require too much processing or memory. It fit nicely in my briefcase with the rest of my documents and didn't require hauling around a Targa satchel. Then I purchased other models like the slightly bigger 901 and stuck a USB 3G modem to them and everything was perfect.

Until I saw a CF-29 for sale at $130 on cheesebay. Now we were talking serious "go-anywhere" power with crazy reliability, guaranteed to work in just about any conditions. I even lugged a CF-19 while horseback riding during winter and still managed to pull in a cell signal on the internal WWAN module under heavy snow in some unusual places.

Once you've done things like that with a laptop it's damned near impossible to use any other brand without feeling the flimsiness and the slight sense of insecurity from handling something that's basically built to be used on a desk.

UNCNDL1, Toughbook and toughasnails like this.
  7. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Simply put, I use Toughbooks for everything.

Detailed report: Communication, entertainment, information, education, hacking, cracking, gifting, generating financial relief and peace of mind ( in knowing that whatever tomorrow may bring, my laptop will still be working at the end of the day).

8. evenflow153

Reputations:
  9. Compaq12

Compaq12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all! I have recently acquired a CF-25 for $65. I think it’s a MK2 but I have a collection of 5 computers now. I am still a person hat can’t get enough of things. Just like @evenflow153

10. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    At one time I had over 40 Toughbooks and I collected some older models.....just because I could. I left my Panasonic Executive Partner in the US when I moved,look that one up.:D

toughasnails likes this.