What do you use toughbooks for?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by evenflow153, Jul 21, 2019.

1. locksmth

locksmth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have 3 toughbooks currently.

CF-31J i7 is my daily driver. It comes to work in my service van and sits in its dock awaiting my every command. I have a home dock for it as well, but I haven't set it up yet.

CF-53 i5 sits behind me in my home office. I use it for miscellaneous tasks like programming radios or doing computerized battery analysis. I also use it as an internet/radio connection to my favourite 220Mhz repeater. Yes, I am an Amateur Radio Operator.

CF-19 This one currently does nothing. It is pretty slow as it is an early model. It is absolutely beautiful to look at as it only has 200 hours on it. It is brand new!

toughasnails and evenflow153 like this.
  2. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m about to see if I can get a FCC license.

3. locksmth

Reputations:
    Good luck. I'm a Canadian and have been a ham for 35 years. Lots of interesting stuff. Always something new too!

evenflow153 likes this.
  4. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Where from in Canada. I lived in Brandon 15+ years

5. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Currently my CF-19 Mk5 is my main toughbook. I have a 19 Mk4 that I will be setting up soon for gps mapping.

My19 Mk3 that looks like it was hit with a sledge several times and other stuff is my knock around toughbook.

My U1 Mk2.5 is my backup I carry with me.

The CF-30 Mk2 got a fresh load of windows 7, plays music in the shop and is loaded with OBD2 programs to trouble shoot my cars. Also got PCM hammer along with other tuning software.

M34 Mk7 loaded with old first to second gen Holley EFI tuning progams.

CF-29 Mk3 loaded with Holley ECM programs and GPS mapping.

CF-52 Mk1 ATI stays in the camper, it's the DVD player and TV set, lol.

The others get played with from time to time. But not as much as I would like.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  6. locksmth

Reputations:
    Born and raised in Vancouver. Currently live in Ladner, BC

evenflow153 likes this.
  7. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Another story about mine

A friend of mine had a CF-28 MK1 or 2 idk. He gave it to me to fix but I’m over here fixing a Getac (that I acually dropped and broke). Fast forward 3-6 months and it’s sitting there collecting dust on the workbench (aka a lifetime foldout table) and I got around to fixing it. The thing had 3 major issues. 1st it’s battery had corroded so bad that I just threw it out. 2nd, somehow he lost keys on the chiclet style somehow. 3rd his palmrest was so bad that he stuck memory foam on it. So I fix it and this was 4-5 years ago. He comes back like 3 weeks later with a CF-M34 that he dropped out of a moving car somehow then I fixed that (a screen cracked).

The M34 he recently sold to me and I will be using it to do CB Radio and HAM Radios and this this and that. Luckily I don’t need to buy one and this is still in shipment even though he shipped it out from his house and I’m expecting because he’s from Iceland it’ll be 5-6 months to get here

8. ares93

ares93 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My mk6 CF-19 is mostly used to remote into some radio equipment that i admin about 70km from where i live.

I've put over 14k hours on it in three years. Its running almost 24/7.

UNCNDL1 and evenflow153 like this.
  9. evenflow153

Reputations:
    My CF-29 MK2 (work) is the same way. The way is to just be crazy and leave it on forever like mine. It’s actually hasn’t been turned off in 3+ years. Except the 23,000 Hrs on it is just absurd

10. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. CF-29 runs FreeDOS mostly and is used to tune Holden (Australian General Motors) Delco ECUs.
    2. CF-29 will be setup to run a flow bench using Performance Trends Port Flow Analyser software, probably just run Windows XP.
    3. CF-29 is my test mule, it literally exists just so I can play with and setup Linux and test various OSs on.
    4. CF-31 is to tune cars with HP Tuners, EFI Live, Tuner Studio, NisTune, Hondata, etc etc etc.

I would like a tablet so I can play with setting up Debian so it will "just work".
    I would like another one so I can setup an Android dash so I can log engine data for tuning (I currently don't have access to a dyno so I road tune by reading logs and adjust parameters accordingly).
    I'd like a phone just because I can, it must have 4G and must be Android compatible so I can run LineageOS or pure Android without the bloat addons.

Having said all that I'd also like the funds to pay for it all.

Shawn and toughasnails like this.