what do you think about this one?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mach1ga, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Mach1ga

Mach1ga Newbie

Reputations:
    hello!

I'm thinking of buying this laptop. https://www.amazon.com/i7-8750H-Processor-GeForce-Gigabit-Windows/dp/B07F6K21HJ/

Does it sound good?
    is there anything you dont like or you would improve about it?

I'm worried a bit about the monitor, I dont understand if its matte glossy or what.. I like the specs but I'm more interested in being able to look at the screen in many environments than in crisp graphics.

Thanks!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The display is most likely matte. Regardless, that's not an exceptional price for a laptop with a GTX 1060. If you'd like some more opinions, please edit your post and fill out the form located in this thread.

3. Mach1ga

Mach1ga Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

would like to spend about 1000, but can stretch to 1200 if it makes a good difference

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Really prefer asus

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Nope

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work as beta tester for web and mobile apps. will need lots of ram & SSD for dev environments, diferent devices emulators, and many browsers with many tabs

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both, but i don't mind the weight and will carry charger too.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook?
    occasionally, but not too demanding

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2 or 3 is fine, wont be too far from a wall socket

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    on-line is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    i Will have to get a win10 for w3rk, but then will make it double boot to linux and emulate a mac. so it needs win10 license and it would be nice to know I can install ubuntu OK without missing a lot.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    1080p (1920x1080) (or more)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes, I like how my current asus n550jv looks and feels but i can accept platic if its resistant and its worth for the specs/price ratio

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    about a tera, but i do own a 1tb ssd so I'm looking into hybrids that come with a little ssd and a big HD and I plan to shap the HD for a second SSD as soon as i get it. That's possible, right ?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    this week

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years is asking to much?

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    no time, and I would cry the whole while its gone

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    no, I change locations often and I don't mind opening the computer so any warranty would be void anyway.

Other notes:
    I do need lots of ram and space, but I don't mind getting a computer with less ram or hard drive and then changing it for a better one. I do have a good, fairly new 1tb ssd and also 16gb of ddr3 that I could savage. But I don't know if it might be better to buy new ddr4 instead ?

Thanks again to everyone that read this far.

(i had a similar post but I changed some of the specs so i think the update in a new post is valid)

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I know you said you like Asus, but I'm actually selling a Lenovo Y530 with a Core i7 8750H, 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB SSD, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and 3-year Best Buy/Geek Squad warranty that's valid through the end of July 2022. My listing is is here. Post a reply here if you're interested and I'll send you a private message so we can discuss it further - you don't have the ability to send me a PM until you have 5 posts outside the off-topic forums.

5. Mach1ga

Mach1ga Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for the clarification Saturnotaku, I'm glad to know its matte, and Even more happy to know i could get sth better for the price.

I added the form and here are some other deals i was considering:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7SRPBN/ref=psdc_13896615011_t4_B07BPB158F (Is this the same as above but in a different chasis? I see it as 1.099 US)

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-15-6-inch-i7-7700HQ-Processor-GeForce/dp/B01N9QKYZ9 this other one seems lighter an a bt more discrete, but other than that I dont understand why i it more expensive