What do you pay for Auto insurance?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by KPot2004, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With my old car I drove 2 years without any insurance and a no insurance ticket is like $500, so even if I would have gotten a no insurance ticket I would have saved money.

Now my old car was a big POS, obviously you want and need coverage on a brand new car.

2. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Again, this is an issue involving state law. In my state, if you cancel or lapse your auto insurance, you're supposed to turn in you license plates or face a cumulative daily fine. Driving a car without insurance in my state? That's a very serious matter and you're not just driving away with a ticket. Nope. Driving without insurance is considered "unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle."

So, it does depend on the state. Some state do allow you to post a bond instead of buying insurance, but the bond amounts can be in the 5 figure range, which makes a lot of sense when you think about the liability involved in operating a motor vehicle. Actually, you think about the potential liability in an accident, and possible judgement awards can be 6, 7 or 8 figures.

And insurance just doesn't protect your investment in your car, but it also protects your current and future assets and earnings from liability. In this modern world, even when you're the victim of another driver, you can still be the victim of a baseless lawsuit.

3. ray4jc

ray4jc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2007 Ford Taurus I pay about $1600 a year for full coverage.....I use Auto-Owners and have life insurance and my home insured with them as well.

4. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know how much insurance you have to pay for a 2004 Mazda RX-8 with 79,999 miles?

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I wonder if I could do that in South Carolina...

I don't actually pay for my insurance at the moment (call me spoiled), but the bill runs up somewhere around $2400/year. 18yo male, '05 Nissan Altima, no traffic violations. Farm Bureau.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Depends on your age/area/driving record. Full coverage or liability? I had a quote a few years back like 300+ a month for full coverage when I was looking at an RX-8. Any RWD Japanese sports coupe is gonna be $$$. My 240SX is 93 a month liability only, but full coverage was like over 300 bucks a month...crazy.

7. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol, that's a crazy amount of money. I had an accident in 2010, no one injured, but I was at fault. So my insurance for a RWD Sports Vehicle is going to be HIGH.

8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I pay zero since I am uninsured.

Get some free online quotes because NOBODY can even give you a clue as to how much you will have to pay. If quotes from different insurance companies using your exact location and other personal information can vary by like 300%, how can anyone tell you?

9. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The difference between living in the actual city of Flint and the suburbs is huge. Crime and car theft is so high that if I actually lived in the city limits my insurance would almost double.

10. notyou

notyou Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Government insurance FTL. Manitoba: $1300/year w/ 25% clean record discount, 23 y/o, 2005 Civic SiG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.