What CPU heatsinks are you guys running for your Ranger?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by kaibsora, Feb 19, 2019.

1. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also wanted to order one of these HS, but didn't, since I read distorted experiences of users, sm say super, sm say bad.

Have one of these "turbo" fans in my r4, HW info with EC reading off and fans set to "maxed" give me 6-7° on CPU and 3-4° on GPU (stock fan) vs auto fan control, when gaming.

Ashtrix likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Guess I was lucky I had a good one but screwed it up lol

M18x-oldie likes this.
  3. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah. Everything you stated is exactly kn point with my heatsinks that I bought from him. With lm, it seems that the hs doesn't even touch the CPU. However. I was able to stop vr throttling and even get 4.3 on all cores without throttling on stock CPU with pads on vrms. Now, That being said, it gets into 90s lol. so I have to get a better fan.

I can test the dptf thing you are talking about. If you PM me, I'm much easier to reach on discord. (I have 4930mx and a14+ bios)

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Could you be more specific, I couldn't understand, so this turbo fan shaves off 6-7C on CPU temps vs the M17x R4 stock CPU fan ? About GPU vs Auto fan I didn't get that too, thanks.

Damn shame that this HS fitment is hit or miss, so far only saw @TheReciever and @EepoSaurus got the proper fit.
    And regarding the BIOS I do not have the unlocked BIOS flashed onto my machine but this is the post which explains that a bit and needs this driver.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Papusan and kaibsora like this.
  5. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i get "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for this driver" error on install

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019