What CPU heatsinks are you guys running for your Ranger?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by kaibsora, Feb 19, 2019.

1. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I have a ranger, that when i bought it third hand, had a 4 heatpipe lapped cpu cooler on it. however, i couldn't use turbo or hyper-threading otherwise the 4800mq would overheat on core 2. so i bought a stock hs, and haven't had an issue and can use turbo and ht just fine. all cores are equal in temps.

Now, i have a 4930mx, that is too powerful for the stock hs.(btw i am using hydronaut paste) when it gets going that thing gets into the 90s under load. I do gaming and virtualization, so this cpu is something that i kinda need. I purchased and installed another 4 pipe all copper hs from china, but to my dismay, its performing worse than the stock hs! can you guys help me out?

I have ran 2 identical p95 stress tests with max heat for 1 hour. the only difference being the hs. i did repaste both times to ensure accuracy. Attached is a pic of the log viewer of hwi reports for both tests. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    At the moment stock 2 pipe heatsink.

Though I have a unique heatsink planned for this laptop in the future.

kaibsora likes this.
  3. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Look forward to seeing it :)

4. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the all copper one. It seems to work well but i think you would benefit from switching to liquid metal. I noticed a big improvement in temps.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think people have said that the copper heatsink needs to be sanded.

6. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Hmm. Why would I switch to lm on a hs that is 10c hotter than the stock hs using hydronaut? I know lm performs and that's the plan but I need to know why I have 2 of these Hs and they both suck worse than the stock
    How would I go about sanding this? Can you link me to someone else who has this hs?

The problem with having this hs, is it's not flat at the screw holes so I'm not sure how to sand this otherwise

7. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    The heatsinks i have out perform the stock heatsink but it may be a fluke. I dont know where you got yours from but not all custom heatsinks are the same. Could be that your heatsink is heatsoaking. It may be storeing more heat than the fan can disperse. Stands to reason as the mass is much higher.

Papusan likes this.
  8. kaibsora

Reputations:
    I got one from https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263078220232 and an exact other one from a member in the forum when I bought the alienware. He said he had no issues with it.

9. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    I run my 4930mx at 4.3ghz 1.05v with the heatsink you linked and liquid metal and temps stay under 83c. The 4930mx runs hot admittedly but it can be tamed.

Papusan likes this.
  10. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Did you have to sand it at all? Can you do me a favor and run p95 for an hour for max heat and send me hwinfo log?