What clevo reseller should I use?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cacotigon, Sep 27, 2016.

?

Which reseller would you buy clevo from?

1. HIDEvolution

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Xotic PC

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. LPC Digital

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. Origin PC

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Mythlogic

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    Right, the distinction I was trying to make is in terms of support. I liked dealing with HP in the past because they would literally send me a replacement unit if there was a real problem (now I'm not sure if Sager would do this or even if HP does anymore). It's harder for a smaller company to offer that kind of warranty service because of the cost, but they can offer customization like liquid metal or prema BIOS that is not easy for a large corp to do. Also, sending a unit back to a small team for repair is a little more reassuring than sending it back to the factory, but that is where Larry works his magic =) One thing with HID is that you can potentially talk directly to the person trying to fix some issue with your unit. I have to say that does have it's up sides.

2. Translarian

Translarian Newbie

Reputations:
    When I first bought a P35X v3 from HIDevolution, they were quite responsive and helpful. Then, when the two year warranty was almost up, I inquired about a replacement battery. I needed one sent to me as I am paraplegic and unable to deal with RMA packaging and mailing. They said they would follow up with a price quote, but never did. A year later, I've had problems with what seem to be thermal shutdowns and contacted them again. I haven't had a response for two weeks now... I had to resort to contacting Gigabyte directly. Part of the problem seems to be that the battery is no longer available for resellers, being out of production to their knowledge, so Gigabyte may be the only one who has access to a supply. I would think they would extend that to builders/resellers, but again, HID has not responded, for whatever reason.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Ugh thats not good to hear. Maybe @Donald@HIDevolution can respond to this in a pm (to me i guess op is too new?) i would recommend copying the tag i just used and asking in the gigabyte thread to speak with him. U need 5 posts for pms.

That sucks.

I'll be pretty peeved if they are trying to drag you out of warranty like some other companies.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Translarian likes this.
  4. Translarian

Translarian Newbie

Reputations:
    Yarrr... So I've about given up on HID as the reseller I want to use for my next laptop. And I can live without the battery (though Gigabyte seems to think they can dig one up). The main issue at this point is something else I found a little about in this forum, which is that following the upgrade to Windows 10, Gigabyte's latest versions of SmartManager no longer allow/cause the fan to run on high, as they did with SM 4.4.3 in Windows 7 and 8. The formerly noisy fan can no longer be made to max out. This is resulting in higher temps (200+ F) which result in instant shutdowns, undocumented in Windows logs. I eventually resolved this by rolling back nVidia graphics to earlier versions from the drivers and settings recommended and set by GEForce Experience software, which I uninstalled; by reverting all nVidia settings to in-game defaults; and by digging up (again, from here), a version of SM 4.4.3 which DOES work in both Windows 7 and 10 to take the fan to max at will. I also used RealTemp to disable Turbo on the processors, since I'm not in a position to do a serious cleaning and overhaul of heat tube and heat sinks. Even with all this, GTA V maxes at 163 F in Windows 7, and still up to 180 F in Win 10. Gigabyte is having me try upgrading to the latest BIOS (FD10/F019) before reinstalling the latest SmartManager. These details probably deserve a post on a more related thread, but I thought I'd at least get them down here while the opportunity presents.

5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    It's just disappointing to hear they didn't help you. First negative experience in a while.

Also btw people report temps in C. F doesn't really make any sense in any technical fields lol. Only U.S. outdoor temps are measured like that, Celsius is so much more logical. Just for the future.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    What is F? :rolleyes:

We only talk C when it comes to computers :eek:

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I'd go with HIDevolution if you want the Prema BIOS and/or factory delidded CPU without voiding your CPU warranty which greatly helps bring those temps down

OR LPC-Digital if you're fine with the stock BIOS as LPC-Digital's customer service is some of the best I've experienced personally, Larry from LPC-Digital once helped me with an issue on my laptop even though I wasn't his customer, superb!

Also remember, if you do go with HIDevolution, email donald@hidevolution.com to get your NBR Forum member discount

Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• Fixes the biggest issue with these Clevo laptops where they would throttle the CPU as low as 2.5 GHz the moment both the CPU & GPU are under load due to current issues with the Clevo Stock BIOS/EC Firmware.
    • The ability to disable other drives connected to your system without physically removing them from your laptop, this comes in handy when installing Windows as you never want to have more than one drive connected at the time you are installing Windows otherwise the Windows setup will place the boot files on the 2nd drive it sees which hurts performance and makes it a headache when creating system images or restoring since the boot files are not on the main drive.
    • The ability to overclock, increase Turbo Power Limits and System IA/Core Current Limits
    • The ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology (it is disabled in the stock BIOS)
    • The ability to run RAM with speeds higher than the standard 2133 MHz. I am not talking about overclocking here, I am talking about actual RAM sticks that are rated to run at 2800 MHz for example like the G.Skill 64GB 2800 MHz kit I have. With the stock BIOS, they will not run above 2400 MHz. In the case of the P870DM3, the stock BIOS now supports up to 2666 MHz. I believe but not more, so the Prema BIOS is a must again
    • Fixes the instability with the G.Skill 3000 MHz. RAM using XMP Profile 1 with timings of 16-18-18-18 where in the stock BIOS you would have constant crashes or not be able to boot altogether so you’re forced to use XMP Profile 2 which is slower with 18-18-18-18 timings.
    • The ability to enable CSM for those who want to install other OSes like Windows 7
    • The ability to undervolt the CPU as the stock voltage is way too high which causes the CPU to overheat much quicker and thus throttle under load.
    • The ability to enable or disable CPU AES instructions or Virtualization
    • The ability to disable hibernation from the BIOS
    • Sets the default keyboard lights from blue to white which suits more tastes

Benefits of Prema VBIOS:

• Power throttle disabled
    • Over-voltage slider enabled and adjusted (up to a maximum of 1.2v)
    • Activated and adjusted thermal slider (to keep it cooler if desired)
    • Core overclock slider limit raised
    • Power consumption meter activated
    • Fixed 3D voltage base-line in order to stabilize OCs and voltage-match both cards in SLI systems (based on average ASIC)
    • Thermal protection @ 92c (once*91c are breached the system throttles volts and clocks in order to protect it)
    • Protection against Furmark and Kombustor GPU burnout (AVOID those software even with stock vBIOS)!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. hyperfishstix

hyperfishstix Newbie

Reputations:
    Is the Prema BIOS out for the Clevo P6x line already?

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    not yet, but you will get it as soon as it's released

I personally would never use a Clevo laptop without the Prema BIOS

10. Translarian

Translarian Newbie

Reputations:
    I stand corrected. Or rather I sit corrected - I wear orthopaedic pants...o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.