What clevo reseller should I use?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cacotigon, Sep 27, 2016.

?

Which reseller would you buy clevo from?

1. HIDEvolution

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Xotic PC

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. LPC Digital

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. Origin PC

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Mythlogic

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cacotigon

cacotigon Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at purchasing the Sager Clevo P650RS-G as my next machine, so I've tried to do a comparison of some of the major resellers, Xotic, HIDevolution, LPC Digital, Origin PC, and Mythlogic.

The two most important factors for me are: quality assurance and temperature which I want as low as possible, even during gaming I'm hoping not to exceed 75-80C max. All the resellers seem to offer thermal compound, Xotic will even install copper cooling which sounds interesting.

All of the systems are as comparably configured as possible:
    15" Matte GSYNC 1920 x 1080
    Intel Core i7-6820HK
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Thermal Compounds
    Windows 10 Pro
    32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz
    SAMSUNG 950 PRO 256GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
    Dead Pixel Guarantee
    Approximate 3 year warranty
    Rush service

HIDevolution (9 / 10)
    Pros: Up to 2 year LCD dead pixel warranty, 3 year warranty, possible international warranty, lots of recent reviews, Prema BIOS
    $2600

Xotic (8.5 / 10)
    Pros: Copper cooling, 3 year warranty, 1 year dead pixel protection, rush build, lots of recent reviews
    $2500

LPC Digital (10 / 10)
    Pros: cheapest, 3 year warranty
    Cons: Only 90 day dead pixel warranty, No recent reviews from resellerratings.com, latest was 2015
    $2400

Origin PC (9 / 10)
    Pros: 3 year warranty, lots of recent reviews
    Cons: uses a desktop CPU which could mean more voltage and more heat?, only 90 day dead pixel warranty
    $2850

Mythlogic (10 / 10)
    Pros: 3 year warranty, possible accidental LCD coverage, possible better quality assurance
    Cons: No recent reviews from resellerratings
    $2600

All the ratings listed are out of 10 resellerratings.com.

Anyone who has experience with these companies have any recommendations? I also added a poll to the question.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    HIDEvolution if you want the Prema bios and liquid ultra, LPC Digital otherwise. Both have the best customer service I have dealt with.

Spartan likes this.
  3. mishkasm

mishkasm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ordered mine from LPC Digital. It has not arrived yet, but so far Larry has been great to work with. Answered all my questions over email ON THE WEEKEND. Others on here have had great experiences with LPC too. On the other hand, there are a few Xotic reps on the forum here, and I have not heard of anyone having any major issues with Xotic. Not a bad choice. HIDevolution is also great, but it was more expensive in my case, and after a lot of thought I decided that I would likely not mess with the Prema BIOS to justify the difference. No bad choices here though.

FredSRichardson likes this.
  4. Galm

Reputations:
    Yeah it depends highly on the config. I went with no OS and no drives and the cost difference was under 50 dollars between HID and LPC. There's nothing wrong with Xotic, but Larry from LPC and Ted and Donald at HID are just so incredibly responsive and helpful.

5. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can attest to the excellent CS provided by Larry @ LPC. Donald... Well, I've been indirectly affected by the PNB debacle, can't say I'd recommend that route if I'm being totally honest.

6. Entionz

Entionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Larry at LPC is awesome. Purchased a P770DM-G back in March, he made sure everything went smoothly. I'm only salty about the lack of gpu upgrades for that unit, but that's a Clevo/nVidia issue, not LPC's. Origin went back on their advertising for their 120hz screens when I was looking for a P775DM3-G a month ago; I don't trust them. I firmly believe I'll pick up a unit from Larry again when the new screens are readily available. Great guy.

7. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    I went with LPC Digital mainly to save a little money, but I was also seriously considering HIdevolution. Both are very well thought of here (perhaps to the point of evangelism in some cases). But the choice is really between a reseller and s builder. Each has its advantages: small team with direct support vs large corporation with indirect support. There are cases where each has its advantages.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Galm

Reputations:
    Er both HID and LPC definitely fit the small team vibe, Sager is more like a corporation.

9. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    LPCDigital offers indirect support from Sager. I'm pretty sure the 2 year warranty through LPCDigital is indirectly provided by Sager (they offer the same warranty with the same price for a third year). I know that my laptop is shipped directly from the Sager factory.

However, to be clear Larry@LPCDigital offers the added value of knowing folks at Sager who can get thing done.

From what I've heard, you really don't want to order directly from Sager yourself. You won't have much fun trying to get support from them if something is wrong. Larry's good reputation comes from his customer service and in particular for his ability to resolve issues with your purchase.

10. Galm

Reputations:
    No but I meant both are small teams where you know your support guy.

And yeah don't buy direct from Sager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.