What chromebook to buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Drew1, Mar 18, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Unless you grew up with a Chromebook in school, why would you want one over a full featured Windows laptop, there is a lot of overlap in price / features, and finding a good new technology Windows laptop on sale would likely be much easier than finding a new Chromebook for a reasonable price, the Chromebook pricing has kept going up and up into ridiculous heights as they add fancier hardware to the mix.

Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?

By Valentina Palladino | November 29, 2017 11:30 am
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chromebooks-vs-windows

Overall Winner: Windows 10
    foo.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there i know what you mean with a windows computer being better. My issue is i want a laptop that is either 13.1 or 14.1. I dont want a bigger laptop. And i want it to be light and heavy. So unless i want to spend at least 600 dollars on it, i didnt want to buy a windows laptop. Again this laptop will solely be streaming and web browsing. Thus it would be foolish to spend say even 700 dollars on this as its basically a computer to web browse. But the chromebook i bought which i will receive very soon, it has 1920x1080 display. Thus i want good display. The negative of it would be i cannot download many programs etc. I didnt think that was issue but then i thought of what if i wanted to download something that requires windows, but i cannot. But its not that big of a deal. If i could find something in the 300 dollar range where i could get windows and a 14.1 display or less and also does not weigh much, i would get it as oppose to chromebook. However, wouldnt the processor be worst than the chromebook? Example is a pentium 4 slower or faster than the processor for an acer 14 chromebook?

The thing is i had an old asus 14.1 laptop that i bought many years ago for like 900 dollars or so. I used that laptop as my separate computer to stream tv and web sites etc. But that laptop broke. So if i could find something like that, i would like it. But these laptops cost at least 600 it seem. The other thing was i could buy a used laptop like this for 250 or less and get windows etc. But would you say tht would been better than a chromebook? The thing is 300 dollar for chromebook vs say 600 dollar for window laptop, i could pay it. But i have a tough time thinking im paying that much for a computer that is strictly for streaming etc. I spent over 1500 dollars on my regular computer but thats for my my laptop. Also wouldnt the acer 14 chromebook have good resale value if i sell it in future? its about 300 dollars new so assuming used, i should get at least 115 minimum if very good condition?

hmscott likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That article and accompanying video are not to be taken seriously because it was published at the end of November 2017, but one of the thumbnails says Chromebooks are "an up and coming force." That might have been true in 2014, but Chromebooks are legitimate laptops now, especially since Google Play support is in full rollout mode.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Listen to this guy! He knows what he's talking about. Period!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I know, I was being sarcastic (should have added the /s, I suppose).

Like... the "Web Browsing" column for ChromeOS is unchecked. :confused:

bennni, Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Holy cow, I didn't even notice that. LMAO.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Hey all just received my chromebook but did not open it yet, its still in box.

So you guys say keep it right? Again its mostly streaming and downloading movies and web browsing. And i could always sell it for least 100 dollars probably right on ebay?

And can someone answer this question to me about using this 32gb chromebook with a 1tb internal hard drive if i do have the enclosure? I ask this because that way i dont have to buy a 64gb usb stick etc.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It’s been answered before that you can use your 1TB drive if you want.

Also, if you don’t like the laptop, simply return it to the seller for a full refund.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Also, as a FYI, computers depreciate amazingly fast, so don’t expect anything near what you paid for when you go and sell the computer in the future :) .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    hmscott likes this.