What budget SSD brands should I buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rikki, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikki

Rikki Newbie

Reputations:
    So black friday and cyberweek is just around the corner. I am thinking about investing on a laptop SSD to upgrade my HDD on my Asus ROG GL551VW. Since I have only used HDDs, I only know of western digital and toshiba is reliable since they served me well for the past decade.

For the SSD however, I am not sure which one is good, how it differs from each other, and known problems like software and failures. My research has lead me to about 4 brands. Crucial, Sandisk, Adata, and PNY for the budget performance, price, and power usage. I notice that some of these drives have an unusual total memory storage like 480GB and 525GB at the mid ranges which puzzles me. On top of that the software that is induced like cloning concerns me as it may take up some memory as what the phone market does.

In your experience which one of the brands I picked are good? I am leaning towards crucial since they seem reliable and has a bigger storage. Sandisk seems decent, followed by PNY, then Adata which is the cheapest but is a unheard of brand for me.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    @Rikki all the brands you mentioned have crappy models, which are also the cheapest in their lineup. You shouldn't rely on brand alone in making your decision, it is particular model that really matters.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Rikki, are you absolutely committed to those SSDs listed? The Samsung EVO line of SSDs seem to be a solid alternative, but I don't know if that fits within your budget.

4. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I can't recommend the Evo drives enough for their price and reliability. If budget allows the Pro models get you a little better performance but most people won't see the difference. I've also used Intel drives in the past on my personal machines and had good experience with them. Both have some of the best testing and hardware validation before they even get boxed up to head to the stores.

5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Thats not a budget option at all... the 850 Evos are like the most expensive consumer SATA line.

I'd recommend the Sandisk Ultra II or X400 as they offer similar performance and reliability for less of a premium.

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have a pair of M.2 SanDisk X400 1 TB drives, and they've been outstanding. Plus they leave the two 2.5" SATA drive bays in my system free should I need to further expand storage. Said need may come sooner rather than later since modern games are needing a minimum of 20 GB. CoD: Infinite Warfare is more than 70, though I'll be uninstalling it as soon as I finish the single-player portion.

7. jclausius

Reputations:
    I've never used the X400, but hear good things.

Opinions vary. I guess that is why my post mentioned that the Samsung EVO may or may not fit the budget.

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I vote for crucial/micron. They're stuff isn't the fastest, but they typically pack good features and solid reliability. I've been using Micron drives since 2011 without any issues, knock on wood.

alexhawker and saturnotaku like this.
  9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Opinions vary... It's objectively not a budget option. Samsung even launched their 750 evo line as a budget option... It's also priced significantly higher than budget ssd options. I'm not saying it's bad, but when the 500GB 850 Evo is 165, while most entry level options are like 120, that's a different tier.

It is definitely the premium sata ssd line for consumers.

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. jclausius

Reputations:
    Yes. That. The Samsung 750 EVO as a budget option. But as previously stated, I don't know if this fits @Rikki's budget.

Note, I wouldn't call the 750 EVO the 'Premuim SATA SSD' line for consumers. I think Anand sums it up nicely, "The 750 EVO establishes a new budget-oriented product line that competes in the cutthroat low end of the market where price per GB is the most important aspect of the product." - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10258...20gb-250gb-ssd-review-a-return-to-planar-nand

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.