What are you planning to buy and why?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 23, 2016.

?

What type of laptop configuration are you planning to purchase?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2018.
  1. Modular CPU (i.e. Socket 1151) and GPU (i.e. MXM) to facilitate service/repairs/upgrades

45.8%
  2. Modular CPU only (i.e. I don't care if GPU is soldered and less powerful)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Modular GPU only (i.e. I might want to upgrade the GPU or replace one that fails someday)

12.5%
  4. I don't care if the machine is repairable or upgradeable (i.e. BGA is good enough for me)

25.0%
  5. I am done spending money on expensive laptops (i.e. plan to buy or build a desktop)

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Well I'm done with DTRs , back to desktops.

It's lonely in there at the bottom of the poll.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Joining you in the lonely place :eek:...

The last "powerful" laptop I've bought was in 2011 with the Thinkpad W520. Given that DIY desktops have better price/performance ratios, I probably won't ever buy a proper DTR. Especially since you can have a very nice mITX system for "portable" gaming (LAN parties, etc).

Mr. Fox and bloodhawk like this.
  3. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Yeah. I assembled a Shoebox sized mITX system for a friend last week. (Inspired by the LTT video)
    6 cores , better ram , better cooling. Even slightly lighter.
    Most of all - less headaches for him.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    What, no 24-core CPU??

;)

5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    If you need one for light content creation sure ;)

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bought a turdbook for school and work and am considering switching hobbies entirely. I've been unsatisified with gaming for a while now, and not only with hardware but software, too. Nvidia drivers are so terrible, they brick displays and destroy GPU's. AMD is fiddling thumbs and just embarrassing themselves (in regards to performance) when we compare them to Nvidia, leaving Nvidia with little to no competition... Don't even get me started on re-branding.

Could go on and on for hours on this but I'm tired of complaining and debating, because nothing will change. These companies are so blinded by creating disposable products, they lost sight of what's important... Maybe Volta and Vega will change things.

7. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well after the turd that was released for the new rMBP im not upgrading the Apple side side at all, however I did add a couple new workstation laptops instead.

A nice new shiny Lenovo P70 and HP Zbook 17 should both be arriving in a week with Xeon CPU's 64GB of RAM and then I can add my own drives to them, yes I got the DC3 on the Zbook for those that care. otherwise im holding steady with the old X230 for the travel buddy and upgrading a pair of desktops, for me there is nothing appealing in the low end, mid range or thin and lights anymore that makes me feel the need to change any of my other systems maybe next spring but nothing I need for now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    win32asmguy and bloodhawk like this.
  8. darkarn

darkarn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn, I am having a hard time deciding between a BGA and a fully modular laptop.

BGA means a much lighter and cheaper laptop; those savings can go to other needs and my doctor told me before to not carry that 5kg laptop I have too much lol

Fully modular means being able to service, if not upgrade, my laptop and prolong its use. Tested and proven when I had those mysterious boot failures, all I had to do was to pop out the GPU and clean its contacts and I can carry on. My friends who aren't using such laptops, tough luck, they had to get a new one or incur high repair cost due to needing to change mobo.

Either way I will be building myself a desktop (especially due to Hackintosh)... I think?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The most "powerful" laptop that money can buy. SOCKET HARDWARE ALL THE WAY!! P870DM3 is only choice for me. But I will wait a bit with a purchase of a new machine. The one I have now, is still ok. AND BGA is a big NO NO. I need not explain more about why in the thread. Just look in my sig and those who understand what I mean in my signature understand everything:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.