What are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by key001, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for the pointers. I was picking up some more tequila today and saw that Grand Marnier orange liqueur on the next shell. My understanding is that it's less sweet and more bitter than triple sec. Unfortunately, it's also like 5x as much as triple sec. Definitely want to try it, but it'll have to be a special occasion haha.

Tonight:

A few glasses of wine before my 6:30 AM MCAT.

Fishon likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good luck on the MCAT. The plus side is if things go well, you'll only have at least 5 other standardized tests to complete (usually at a cool $800 a pop or so)... Lol, it is worth it though.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    watermelon berry breezers

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I looked up a mcat question and picked d which was the most common answer then c my next best guess which ended up being correct....I have 0 university experience...just a high iq lol maybe when i was 18-20...still have some brains left

http://www.mcatquestion.com/

Q:
    SDS is a negatively charged detergent used to disrupt noncovalent bonds between amino acids in a protein. One molecule of SDS binds on average to two residues of a protein. The protein segments are then separated by gel electrophoresis (an electric field is applied to the gel containing the protein segments) on the basis of molecular weight. The rate of movement of the protein through the gel is inversely proportional to the log of the molecular weight.

The separation of nucleic acids by electrophoresis does not require SDS. Why?

A
    There are no residue groups on nucleic acids to which SDS can bind
    B
    Nucleic acids can separate based on their hydrophobicity without the binding of SDS
    [​IMG]
    C
    Nucleic acids have phosphate groups that contribute net negative charges proportional to their size
    D
    Nucleic acids do not have tertiary structures like protein that need to be disrupted
    Why? SDS is necessary for the separation of protein segments because they may have different charged residue groups. Accordingly, they would not separate only by molecular size if placed in an electric field, but also by their charge. The binding of SDS accounts for this by overriding the native charge of the protein segments with a net negative charge. Since nucleic acids already have negatively charged phosphate backbones already (1:1 with each nucleic acid), SDS would not be required.

My next question is are all the questions this hard and how does this question rank in difficulty

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I wouldn't call Grand Marneir more bitter, just a cleaner and brighter orange taste without the syrupy sweetness of an average triple sec. The point is that all of it matters and not using a Marg mix is most important. If not triple sec, Cointreau works nicely. I actually am using a Patron orange liqueur I found on sale. A margarita with Grand Marneir is called a Cadillac Margarita.

http://www.monstercocktails.com/cocktail/recipe/cadillac-margarita/41/

“I only had one margarita”

https://www.reddit.com/r/tooktoomuc..._margarita/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Nick likes this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Bloody Mary.

Fishon likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

killkenny1 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ended up getting a pick-your-own six-pack of local beers instead of the wine.

Thanks! It wasn't pleasant but I probably scored well enough to get into one of my state schools.

I saw worse on my exam today. I took the(due to COVID) shortened 5:45 exam instead of the 7:30 version.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah tbh it seems unrealistically difficult unless you enjoy reading science articles 24/7

well how did you do we are all dying to know?

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    He probably won't find out for a couple of weeks (if I recall correctly). It only gets worse after that, board scores take a couple months at least to get results...

JRE84 and Nick like this.