What are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by key001, Oct 19, 2012.

1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Then what does it mean by the year stated on the bottle of red wines if nothing better will happen over years

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some years the grapes that make up the wine taste better than others because they derive their flavor based on the weather patterns they experience during that particular growing season. Droughts, floods, cold fronts, heat waves all contribute to the flavor in addition to the soil makeup itself too. I find slightly older wines might get a *little bit* smoother but it's nothing like aging whiskey.

My favorite red wine tasted amazing in 2014 but there are rarely any bottles from that year left at the store these days. Whenever I see them though, I snap them up, lol.

So in short, it's not the age of the wine necessarily but the particular year that matters.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Sad but true... There are nights when I have to go though two sets of drinking buddies, because they get easily wasted...

Fishon likes this.
  5. Dragnoak

Dragnoak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

50 years ago, I could get wasted on one 32 Oz bottle of Old Milwaukee. Then it only took me 3 months of drinking in Germany in the 70's, till I was up to 4-5 krugs (1 litre mugs), and 6 shots of Jagermeister at a bierfest, before I was ready for some really after hours partying. For an extra kick, we use to drink something called a Radlermass, which in our neck of Bavaria consists of 1/2 litre of dark bier, 1/2 litre of Afri Cola, and 2 shots of Asbach Uralt (a type of German brandy). Just remember, that was 48 years ago. Now it appears that anything sweet dumped into a glass of bier, constitutes a "Radler".

Unfortunately, I had to give up all my "partying ways" when I came down with my first bout with Mantle Cell Lymphoma cancer in 2005, and I was forced to move on to some pretty heavy pain killers. Now, even my daughters breath, after she's been out for a night of drinking, makes me light headed, and woozy. So I guess I'm less than "lightweight", I'm a downright Carrie Nation! :eek2:

Fishon likes this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

No question I'm experiencing the negative effects more now than ever before. I'll get more drowsy later in the day after drinking, and can feel it more come the next day. So I've just reduced the frequency and amount of consumption at any given time to offset this. The thought of drinking a couple of six packs in one sitting is long gone. However, when I go to Cancun, I'd really drink a lot, and all day long, with few negative effects.

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Jarhead likes this.
  8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Haven't drank so much beer since Czech Republic times...

Fishon likes this.
  9. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My new favorite dram, Corryvreckan.

[​IMG]

Fishon and killkenny1 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Wednesday at noon my drink of choice will be natty ice and Svedka.