What are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by key001, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Making it perfect for a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. A favorite of mine for mixing as I do not drink this one neat.

H.A.L. 9000 likes this.
  2. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bottled @45% ABV. While this doesn't sound like a big departure from the 40% found in the Solera you favor, it is noticeable particularly if you're enjoying it neat. The upside to higher abv is flavor, because more alcohol sugar=more flavor. IMO (a popular one, in fact), 45%-46% is the sweet spot for whisky/whiskey. One thing many enthusiasts do is to add just a few drops of water (maybe 1/2 teas.) to the glass. This is not done with the intent of watering down the spirit, rather it breaks the surface tension which actually creates a chemical reaction allowing the spirit to "calm down" and "open up". Letting the glass sit for 10 minutes that way typically results in a different, often better experience depending on the particular whisky in question. Maker's is a great mixer and good casual drink. Fishon suggested Blanton's a while back, and I must say that as bourbon's go, it's among the best I've ever tasted. Fuller bodied than Maker's, but older and therefore less ornery.

HTWingNut and Fishon like this.
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Informative post. I first had to look up the word Solera as I was unfamiliar with the word or had forgotten it. And after watching this video from a few years back, I've added some water and have absolutely noticed how it 'opens up'. Although for ages I've always asked or added a splash of water in my Crown Royal, while my friends would add a splash of 7 (ugh). I have never tasted Balnton's but was recommended by an aficionado ( who likes to pair it with a cigar)- so glad you like it.

H.A.L. 9000 likes this.
  4. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick way to reference GF's 15 yr old offering, as the naming is unique among scotches. Interesting though how that firm has adopted and adapted the solera wine process. As the uptick in worldwide demand for single malt persists, producers are really struggling with cask management especially in regard to age statement offerings. Although larger distillers typically have the warehousing and capital to salt away product for 12+ years while it ages, sourcing quality casks for aging has proven most difficult. Smaller distillers, crafts, and independents are less affected because they simply source what they need regardless and roll the costs into the price. In order for a mass marketed brand such as GF to maintain price, supply and the quality associated with good cask influence, their master distiller came up with a process which helps them utilize the casks that are available (typically ex-bourbon or ex-sherry casks) in addition to new oak.

^^^^ - I agree one thousand percent with the presenter in the video regarding the difference the glass actually makes, except that I prefer the Glencairn.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Fuller bodied, yes, but I've found that Makers is much better once you open it up. I crack a Luzianne tea bag and get about a quarter of the tea bag contents into the fifth I'm about to drink... MUCH more aromatic, more flavorful, and much smoother. I love it neat, as-is, but this is how I prefer to drink it otherwise.

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

Go easy there turbo, there's always another day.

7. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Haha. I go through about one a weekend for tailgating.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Who are you, his mom?

H.A.L. 9000 likes this.
  9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    A fifth over a couple days isn't bad.

H.A.L. 9000 likes this.
  10. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations: