What are the possible CPU upgrades for HP EliteBook 8760w?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Smerdjakov, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, there! This question may seem ridiculous and obsolete, but please, hear me out. In the past, I've experienced multiple lies from big companies like HP regarding possible upgrades. For example, my 8760w CAN upgrade to GTX 980M, even though the highest "legal" MXM GPU is Quadro K5100M. Because of this, I've decided to turn to you for the REAL answer. I want a solid CPU upgrade, even if it means some dangerous modding and alike. Thank you for your answers!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    According to HP's specs, the i7 2920XM was available, so in theory, if the BIOS supports it and your cooling is good enough, you may be able to use the 2960XM.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  3. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Will I get a sensible boost in performance? My current CPU is Intel Core i7-2640M. On Cinebench, this puppy gets around 248 cb at best (an ABOMINABLE result, i know). Is 2920X higher? I will look up the benchmarks myself as well, but since you are experienced I couldn't resist but ask for a first-hand advice.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 2640M is a dual-core while the 2920/2960XM are quad-core, so you'll see a noticeable increase particularly in multi-threaded applications. Again, you have to make sure your power and cooling are adequate because those Sandy Bridge processors run very hot.

The processors themselves are not terribly expensive. The 2920 seems to go for about $120-$130 on fleBay while the 2960 is around $170-$180.

Starlight5 and ChanceJackson like this.
  5. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer, man! I am just about to install my new GTX 980M into my 8760w, and I fear MAJOR bottleneck from the CPU's side.

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    See:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=876&cmp[]=888

As you can see from the 'scores' in the link above: the upgrade to the Intel Core i7-2960XM will be minimal/non-existent in single core applications or doing something like navigating the O/S. However, the multicore performance will increase by ~82%.

The downside is that this ~82% improvement comes at a ~57% increase in TDP which your notebook's cooling design may not be able to handle (as has been already noted above).

These kind of 'side-grades' are not that interesting to me. A notebook based on a newer platform will give you greater overall performance and usability and you'll be able to recoup some of it's cost by selling your current notebook too (when you're satisfied with your new(er) purchase).

I know this isn't what you want to hear.

But $$$$ don't care how you spend them (they spend just as easily on great or mediocre (hindsight) 'upgrade' paths). And make no mistake that your time is worth $$$$ too.

With the processor itself being in the ~$180 range; I'm sure you can find a newer platform with much more performance for not much more $$$. Also; the newer platforms can easily be more cheaply upgraded (RAM capacity/speed and SSD compatibility) and if part of your workflows are video editing (guess - from the Cinebench reference) then RAM (16GB bare minimum, with 32GB+ highly recommended) may make a larger difference than a faster processor might (depending on your actual workflow/workloads).

Good luck.

Smerdjakov likes this.
  7. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this comprehensive answer. I'm sure it took you quite a lot of time, and I am immensely grateful that you sacrificed it for me. One thing to note: I'll accept the truth, no matter how unfavourable it may seem in my position! In fact, telling the raw and uncensored truth is the best thing you can do, as this line of reasoning removes any false future beliefs and therefore faulty (potentially dangerous) actions! No, I do not edit or render any graphics, I'm just a mathematician, who likes to game above 60 FPS. :)

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I can understand the need to tinker with older platforms (because the joy is in the tinkering itself) and I can understand the satisfaction that comes from doing such an upgrade yourself. I can understand because in the distant past I too have done the same when I believed that saving $$$$ at all costs was the best answer ('always').

However; after many systems, platforms, upgrades and decades later; the most satisfying upgrade has invariably been a newer platform and the ability to sell off the old platform complete and usable for others to use/enjoy too (rather than have a box full of parts...). Lately, I have been able to donate my older platforms (complete and working) to where I believe they are most deserved and that gives me as much satisfaction as the increase in productivity that a new/current platform does for my work uses.

I don't game, but you're also not 'just a mathematician who likes to game above 60 FPS'. You have identified and know your workloads/workflows! :)

Now; all you need to do is identify which upgrade path will give you the compute power for those workflows for the longest period of time and the least amount of money over that time period (the life expectancy of the new platform(s) you're considering). ;)

That path will depend on what newer (but still used) platforms are available to you in your area and/or if you can save/budget for a new/current platform in the near to medium future (6 months to less than ~18 months - 'instant gratification' types need not apply :) ).

• Keep in mind that there is no current mobile processor that will allow a GPU to give all it has (desktop class hardware is needed for that). Also note that 16GB RAM is the bare minimum for a 2017 build and a modern O/S (Win8x64 Pro highly recommended - if you want to take advantage of the newest hardware and it's capabilities (promised and real) fully).
    • Games will keep pushing the old hardware so that what was once able to run @ 60 FPS may not be possible with similar type games in the near/medium future.
    • Buy as much CPU+RAM as you can and the best GPU possible at the time of purchase. If/when those hardware limits are reached in their intended workflows; a new platform at that time is usually the best path once again.
    Should notebooks be upgradable (CPU and GPU-wise)? Yeah; in theory I agree 100%, they should. The reality though is that 99.9% of the available notebooks are not for 99.9% of the users out there.

The time, cost and benefits are far outweighed by simply purchasing a new(er) system.

Not only is battery life, heat, noise, weight and performance invariably better on a newer platform; it is also a more satisfying path in the long run.

After all; the 'experience' from a newer platform can't be replicated by a substantially older one no matter how many parts you upgrade (i.e. circa 1997's ThinkPAD vs. 2017 MS Surface, for an extreme example - and I loved those ThinkPAD's! :) ).

9. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please check our Upgrade section for HP upgrades. Your model is listed there. We also offer full upgrade service with 2 way shipping.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, thanks for the advice!

maxH1812 likes this.