What are average idle cpu temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by shinakuma9, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Part-time Acer Moderator

Reputations:
    Probably - although mine idles at around 35-40 even before UVing.
    And speaking of which, I've decided to hold at 1.025V for 11x. It's 0.2V below stock, drops my temps by QUITE a sizable margin (not sure how much though, as my room temp's dropped too), and hasn't caused a thermal trip once through 35 minutes of ORTHOS.
    All the other multipliers seem stable too.
    I'll give it some 3DMarking and a little bit of TF2, and get back to you.

Heh - it'd be great if I ultimately UV my CPU and OC my GPU (or at least its shaders).

EDIT: Ran a few 3DMark06 runs w/o any CPU problems...it's just that Deep Freeze is running about 3 fps slower for some reason I don't quite know. Going to TF2 now.

EDIT 2: TF2 ran just fine. I think I'm gonna let this thing run ORTHOS for most of tomorrow before I pass official judgment on its stability.

2. dkwhite

dkwhite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unvervolting won't affect idle temps.

I idle at 24-26c on my DV9700T and with undervolting I have load temps of 43-45c now. I used to reach 60c before I undervolted.

My 8600GS card idles at 46-48c and load so far is 53c

The main benefit for me is the extra battery life. I have 2 hard drives in my notebook so I lose about 20 minutes of battery life with the extra HD, but gain 30 with undervolting.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Of course it will, less voltage = less heat! even at idle!

4. dkwhite

dkwhite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not in my experience, it only affects load temps. Umm, Mostly because the lowest multiplier on the penryn is already volted to the lowest amount at .950 :p