Welp! Keyboard not working in Bios.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Doc Fox, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didnt open up the laptop. By CMOS clears, I meant paperclip for 5 secs + hold Power button 30 secs. The boot following this procedure works fine all the way to desktop by the way.

I considered opening it to take out the battery for EC ram reset, however given there is a problem with the EC, I didnt want to remove the factory seal, incase of getting it reported as user error. I will take it in to the service at one point in the next few months.

I will try to boot ubuntu from usb and share my findings.

Another interesting fact I found is, on the basic bios system info, my EC FW number is correctly displayed, however in the unlocked bios, at the bottom of the info page, above the management engine version, my EC FW is displayed as 00.00

Also I am very curios about the RGB keyboard, which seems to remember its last settings (it was all red out of the box, I set it to white) and it is always white in bios, during boot, even if I reset EC, flash the Bios, it seems to remember its settings. This makes me think there is some sort of storage I am not able to reset somewhere..

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting discovery, my computer boots fine after I shut it down. It only gets stuck in the infinite logo screen if I restart out of windows.

At this stage I am not even sure if the keyboard and the boot is related. I havent had the keyboard not working in the Bios issue for a while. It might be something to do with my EFI partition.

Since the issue was not what I though, and my keyboard does work now, I might make a new thread for the boot problem in the future if I can't solve it.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Management Engine is not the same as EC FW.
    Go to BIOS, and then System Information at the bottom from the first menu where you should be able to view all of the BIOS/EC information.
    Can you provide pictures and then show us what you are seeing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.