Welp...I have an Artifacting problem...

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by alexpre888, Oct 24, 2019.

1. alexpre888

alexpre888 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My problem appeared during a game of overwatch. What happened is everything went dark on the screen and then immediately started showing squared green colors on the screen. After 10 seconds or so...my game minimizes-to-desktop. My game is still open but I cannot see anything appearing when trying to maximize it.

I tried playing games like TF2 and CS:GO but the problem never appeared. I tried games that are higher demand of performance and they seem to get the issue appearing. None of them crashes my PC but some of the games crashes-to-desktop (doesn't minimize itself like overwatch). Which means this problem appears only on Games that hog a lot of power.

I had a similar issue like this a year ago when these Artifacts appeared during booting but it is extremely rare to happen. I thought it was just a simple hiccup.

I tried to investigate this issue so here is what I know so far:
    - My laptop has not experienced any artifacts during regular use.

- Artifacts can usually be the cause of Overclocking from what I read, however I never overclocked my system at all.

- I had few cases where my PC would immediately shut off without warning like a power failure. This problem was solved in another thread I created: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/figure-out-the-issue-of-my-computer.830207/

- I am getting fan noise from the CPU side of my Laptop. I am getting a fan replacement but its taking a while to get there. (possibly related to the issue?)

- Temperature is around 70-87 degrees Celsius on some demanding games.

- My Computer's Battery doesn't fully charge anymore. My AC Adapter's cable is a bit damaged by the cable but it is still able to charge. I tried playing games with battery/AC adapter and Adapter Only. The issues appears on both. I haven't tried battery only.

What might be the cause of my issues?
    [The Laptop is a Sager NP8173]

Side-note: This problem is making me nervous. I hope it isn't the GPU dying again. This time I have no warranty, and Sager told me that these following issues can cost me more than $1500 which is way pricier than my Laptop.

2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Green squares/rectangles makes me think VRAM is involved.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you updated nvidia driver recently, revert back to the driver which worked for you and re-run OW. If it happens again, it might bad GPU VRAM like @Support.3@XOTIC PC suggested!

4. alexpre888

Reputations:
    I did update my nvidia driver recently but only because the Artifacts appeared. This possibly means that what @Support.3@XOTIC PC said might be right. Ugh...I'm screwed. Unless there is some form of solution to this, It was a good gift while it lasted. ;_:7

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Down clock the vram and see if it changes.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Agreed. In the short term also, since you know lower impact games don't cause the problem, turn down some of the settings on Overwatch, especially shadows and AA if they're on. It's not a terribly demanding game at lower settings, and while the 1070 can play it at epic, on a smaller screen you should be able to get away with some lower details without too much pain.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. alexpre888

Reputations:
    Actually I kept the game around normal settings. Cartoonish looking games like Overwatch i would prefer to keep them normal settings since I hardly see any difference sometimes and rather not make my PC work too hard. I just replaced my CPU fan and hopefully this can be a game changer. In addition, I added fresh new thermal paste and made sure the thermal pads are properly placed between the heatsink and the VRAM.

Forgive my noob question since I never overclocked or underclocked before, but how do I do that exactly? I remember that I had that option in the Sager Control Center but is there another way?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI afterburner or the like.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. alexpre888

Reputations:
    I've been doing regular testing without underclocking. The reason is because I added a new fan in addition to putting fresh new thermal pads on the heatsink and thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Been playing some games for hours and so far I haven't had any form of artifacting. I might have resolved my issue but I'm not fully confident yet. We shall see...

In regards to the thermal pads, I notice that one of them had small little burnt marks on it....hmmmm?
    As I said, replaced the pads as well.

10. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Burn marks? Hmm. Can you take some pictures of the old pads and the pcb?