Well! I'm going to sound pretty damn stupid bit it's a go.

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ryan45, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    Maybe none of those parts will work in another machine, but he may find parts in another machine that will work in there. You'd be surprised the combinations you end up with sometimes.

2. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    No, I wouldn't be surprised at combinations. I've run into almost every configuration imaginable. The problem is that there's nothing useful that will go into that machine, or come out of it. It's limited to 33Mbps PATA, probably has a Pentium-class or slower CPU, probably not even bootable CDROM support, the lack of PCI slots means that he won't even be able to add any hardware. He already said the PSU was shot, so he'd need a new one of those, too. Really... that machine is useless except for the case, and even that probably won't work well with any newer components. It is ONLY useful from a computer "archeology" standpoint, or nostalgia. It will not run newer software or hardware. It's like asking how to get a Model T on the interstate. You just don't... you drive it on the side roads, or get a new car.

3. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    I do agree that that computer is useless, but I think that was this thread's consensus anyway :p

4. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    Does it at least have a network card? I found a debian floppy install but the floppy are only used to start the installation. You need an internet connection to find the rest...

5. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah it does. I'm off the project now. On to customizing RC Trucks !

6. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ryan if you want to make a LONG road trip you can raid my parts bins ... got lots of p4 2.4 and up boards and junk here, but im light on cases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.