Well! I'm going to sound pretty damn stupid bit it's a go.

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ryan45, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I found a few drivers and..meh, I don't think it's worth it..I don't think I'll bother. I can't even find the damn cd driver that came with the computer. I thought it would be fun but..maybe in the future. Thank you all for your input. It was much appreciated. Picture time of the hog.

BEFORE I TOOK IT APART:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

2. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Whoo! BNC connectors, baby. Yeah... that thing's ancient. It's worth more as steel scrap than as a computer ;) I've found faster machines in the dumpster.

Seriously though... if there's a university nearby, go check the dorm dumpsters when the kids are getting out of school. Only an "expensive" university though, not a local community college or vo-tech campus or anything. I've gotten lots of nice stuff from rich entitled twits who throw stuff like that out since mommy and daddy will buy them a new one next year ;)

3. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah dude, the thing is pretty old. I still have my 286 computer so. I may end up taking that apart for fun sometime. The computer I showed like I said is from about 1997 so. It ran Windows 95 and it is an Intel Pentium. I'm not going to lie, it would of been a fun project to work on but..in the future, like I said.

4. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    Just keep in mind that many desktop parts are compatible. Keep working parts, get rid of those which do not. Once you have enough for a full system, go into the project.

5. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, it's kind of hard for me to go and buy parts and such since I am only 15 year's of age so it's rather difficult. I don't think the computer is even worth it.

6. Hep!

Reputations:
    I don't mean to buy parts. Right now you're thinking on the track that a system is a system, and you need an identical part to make it work. This is hardly the case.
    You've got a board, CPU, and memory that work, but no HDD, PSU, or optical drive. Maybe the next scrap computer you find will have those parts, and you can combine those to make one working system.

I do this regularly and come out with some decent systems, the most recent is a P4 2.8GHz, 1GB PC3200, Radeon 9700 Pro... so it's not always total garbage you find. Just be sure to sort out the trash from the... not trash, and save whatever works. You never know when you'll be able to use it.

7. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
  8. Hep!

Reputations:
  9. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    Is your 286 still running? I used to think I was 'uptown' with my 286 and 4 color monitor....Leisure Suit Larry never looked better :D :D

10. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Not from that system. It didn't even have PCI slots, only ISA from what I could tell, so none of the cards would work in a current motherboard (and many new mobos only have one, if any PCI slots). The RAM doesn't work, the floppy is pretty much useless in the age of USB... the only thing that might be useful is the CD-ROM, and an SATA DVD-RW drive costs all of $20 on newegg.com. You can't even buy a drive that slow and useless. The only thing that MIGHT possibly be reused is the case, and then you'd still need a new PSU, and the case isn't designed around the heat concerns of more modern components.

I've built and repaired a LOT of machines, and I started when I was 15, which was like, 13 years ago (sheesh... I'm old :()... trust me. It's either recycle it or donate it to a computing museum ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.