Well, I pulled the trigger. Apple M1 MAX

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by JKERP, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Mo5214

Mo5214 Newbie

Reputations:
    I think its in their habit as a company to try to push for something new, and (make the early adopter) tough out the consequences until issues are fixed and refined (or they gave up and revert back). USB adoption, getting rid of Optical drives, SSD pre-installed (since retina models in 2012), butterfly (fail) touchbar (fail), thinner design on Intel (somewhat fail after 2016, walked back a bit in 2019 16”) etc. Sure the vision is great and all, but before said changes took root, some pains were caused.

some revisions are golden, some were just lemons that its problems were never truly fixed. (And its buyer were left out to dry)

which makes me wonder which fate M1 series would have.

I’ve heard that it usually takes until about 3rd revision for it to get to a sweet spot

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple's 5600M with HBM2 was an underrated little gem. It delivered impressive performance for its power envelope. I can only imagine what it would have been capable of in a Windows-based laptop with proper cooling. If I had to guess, cost was probably the main reason why it didn't see wider adoption since IIRC, it was something like an $800 upgrade on the Mac. Even if you assume a 50% Apple tax, $400 is still no small chunk of change for a GPU that was roughly in the neighborhood of the RTX 2060 and 2070.

If Apple wasn't hell-bent on having near-complete vertical integration, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a Ryzen/Radeon MacBook Pro offering given their previously cozy relationship with AMD. Imagine a MacBook Pro 14 with those specs and a ProMotion display that could serve as a direct competitor to the Razer Blade 14.

Max Tech and its commentariat are annoying as all get out, but let's not pretend that PC fanboys can be any less hyperbolic. I used to moderate the long-defunct nVNews.net forums, and some of the stuff I saw there and on Rage3D was just as bad as anything you'll see on MacRumors or 9to5Mac.

Aroc and electrosoft like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    So is there no windows OS that can be run besides Windows 11 for ARM?

If I want to run something older I need to do macOS(Parallels)>Windows 11 ARM>VMware (using the emulator for x86 in Win11 ARM)>Windows (older versions)?

Is that about right?

4. Mo5214

Mo5214 Newbie

Reputations:
    there is also UTM/ QEMU on Mac. But as of right now it’s rather sloooooow, as in slo-mo slow. ( or Boot modern OS in half an hour slow)

Salvation seems to be CrossOver (commercial upstream variant of WINE)

5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Having run an M1 Max MBP 16 for a few days, I elected to return it. While its performance and display are something to behold, they aren't better enough to justify three times the price premium over my M1 MacBook Air. I still want something portable that can game so I'm re-evaluating my options. Since I'm not usually running games from later than 2016 on my laptops, I'm very tempted to pick up the RTX 3050-powered HP Victus 16 that's currently on sale for $800 at Best Buy.

6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Looking forward to seeing what you eventually end up with.

Aroc and saturnotaku like this.
  7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    It is tough to find a Windows laptop that can compliment a Macbook decently. The MAX 17 can do it, but having to use its 230W power supply and its lack of additional USB-C ports make it a challenge to use the same cable setup as a Macbook. I think something like an XPS 9510/9710 may be easier in that regard, although obviously with much less graphics performance than the RTX 3070.

Aroc likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I'm off Tongfang-based machines for good. Too many quality control problems for my liking. If Dell offered a high-refresh display option for the XPS, I'd be all over it. Lenovo just introduced a 14-inch ThinkBook with a 90 Hz OLED panel, so hopefully we'll start to see similar options for 15-17-inch laptops in the near future.

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Where are all the OLED monitors? Why the best displays arent on the PC pcworld.com | Nov 9, 2021

Aroc and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.