Well, I pulled the trigger. Apple M1 MAX

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by JKERP, Oct 19, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The M1 Max GPU is definitely faster than the old 5600M in native MacOS game ports. But with bootcamp the game compatibility is much better and performance is playable as long as you limit yourself to 1536x960 instead of the native panel resolution.

For software development I have found the performance difference to be a mixed bag. Xcode is faster on a clean build but not noticeably faster just making a small change, rebuilding and deploying to a device. Visual Studio for Mac is not native yet, so performance is just about the same. Running simulators is faster, but these days I just deploy to a real iPad/iPhone/Pixel device so it does not matter that much to me. For our full stack web app projects, I have found the performance with ruby/node to be about the same with the i9. Some of these projects are MVP's, so not much effort has been put into performance optimization. I expected the faster SSD to help a bit but so far have not noticed a difference. Maybe the 2TB has better random IO performance than the 1TB in the M1 Max.

That being said, the M1 Max is definitely quieter all around, and it does not get noisier when using an external display. It was kind of ridiculous that the previous 16 inch was so loud with external displays unless you purchased the 5600M upgrade.

saturnotaku, Aroc and etern4l like this.
  2. Mo5214

Mo5214 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had done some snooping around regarding the loud fan issue. Seems to be AMD memory clock issue.(as in vram clock would be set to max the moment second monitor is detected, and GPU would idle at 20W+) It was the case for my older 15” with r9 m370x also.

For some reason, the issue went away on 5600m (probably due to HBM2 vs older GDDR),

Maybe the solution lies in vbios modding (for undervolting/underclocking) or modding Apple uefi or kext modding for reduced power state

3. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Yeah, that is correct. The sad part is it was stupid to have to get the 5600m just because developers at our company used the machine with external displays every day. I could build and issue a low end AMD egpu to them for under $600 before the mining craze came, but also some would use their laptop at home and carting an egpu around was not practical.

At least with the M1 this is finally solved.

Aroc likes this.
  4. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, it seems that for ML is not that good either, I was expecting the 16 ML cores plus the 32 GPU cores to make a difference, but still looking at https://github.com/tlkh/tf-metal-experiments it is not there yet. Clearly Apple has knocked it out of the park for their first "discrete" GPU, but maybe in two years they'll catch up. Just for reference my RTX 3080 in my Lenovo Legion 7i gives me:

img/sec in those tests at 165W, around 2/3 of an RTX 3090 (pretty impressive by itself).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I said I was going to wait for the M2, but for a hot second over the weekend, Best Buy had stock available of the M1 Max 16-inch MBP so I grabbed one. It will replace my M1 Air and whatever Windows-based gaming laptop I would also be using. I've bought and returned far too many of the latter for various reasons, so I'm throwing in the towel on that market, at least for the foreseeable future. My desktop PC will continue to be my primary gaming device, but with the immense strides Parallels and Crossover have made, the MacBook should be able to play the games I want with reasonable performance.

Aivxtla, Aroc and win32asmguy like this.
  6. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    M1 is amazing but you still can't game on a mac.

Thermal throttling gives unstable performance and macOS still can't handle a proper mouse input without lag/acceleration.

M1 is great for work. It's the tool to have. But not for gaming

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The few native ports of games that work on the M1 seem to perform just fine on the Pro and Max, and there are free utilities that can deal with the mouse acceleration problems.

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I certainly didn't have "Hardware Unboxed reviewing a Mac" on my 2021 bingo card, but here we are. A pretty fair assessment all things considered. Not that it really matters much to their audience, who are just as rabid fanboys as anything they accuse Apple users of being.

9. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Gaming was actually decent on the old 16 inch Intel with the 5600M. Here is Horizon Zero Dawn running in Bootcamp at 1536x960 Ultra quality around 60fps:

PXL_20211110_153654950.jpg

That game will not even run under Crossover or Parallels on the M1 at this point. Apple really took a step backwards with breaking compatibility with Bootcamp, hopefully it will come back (with full DX12 support).

I would probably get tarred and feathered for saying this, but I would not have mind the MBP to have been something like a 5900HX and 6700M. Sure not as efficient as the M1 (for now), but it could have still been a step up from the previous MBP without breaking Bootcamp and introducing architecture switch teething issues.

electrosoft, Papusan and alaskajoel like this.
  10. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just to pick one, have you ever watched the MaxTech / Max Yuryev youtube channel? And read through the comments on their videos (especially the most recent ones, the ones about the new MBP)? The hyperbole is on another level!