Well, I pulled the trigger. Apple M1 MAX

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by JKERP, Oct 19, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    upload_2021-10-31_8-28-19.png

Same benchmark on my MAX 17 below, honestly no comparison. It may not be silent but capped at 60% fan speed noise is about 40dB which is fine. Then there is the fact that if some game comes out that you want to play, likely it would take months before the M1 can actually play it via Crossover.

upload_2021-10-31_8-48-59.png

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's not great. I was expecting less of a gap given that Apple focus more on professional applications. At least, this is somewhat consistent with the (expected) poor OpenCL performance on the Ethereum mining task. Note that your MAX ran the benchmark with 8xAA. On the other hand, although there is a MacOS build of Heaven, presumably it's still Intel rather than M1, since your CPU is showing as a Virtual CPU. If so, there is perhaps some room for improvement a native build might confer, although probably not that great given how amazingly efficient the emulation is (obviously everything is cleverly JITed).

This was from my m15 R1 2070 MQ, just on balanced with tons of stuff running on the laptop at the same time - barely any fan noise though.

[​IMG]

To get to the M1 Max score I guess we would need go back 6 years and step down to 970/980M...

Edit: for completeness' sake here is my result with 4x AA and in performance mode:

[​IMG]

BTW how did you make your images appear scaled down until clicked?

3. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    8xAA caused a black screen when running the app on the Mac. It is indeed not a native port.

The emulation is nice from a technological achievement point of view, but for me games are supposed to be relaxing and if the translation layer just adds bugs and problems with DRM, its just not worth the hassle over just using Windows. In a way the same argument can be used for Nvidia vs AMD as dumb driver bugs that never get fixed reduces the ability to just install a title and enjoy it.

The smaller image is the insert thumbnail option.

etern4l likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    I was going to ask @win32asmguy if he did the Heaven benchmark run in Performance Mode...

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    etern4l likes this.
  7. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I guess it is good that they tried. But no surprise here since Parallels VM video driver only supports DX11.

The best thing to do is take Apple's marketing with a grain of salt, spend less money on a cheaper configuration Macbook, then get a PC or console or maybe even a steam deck for your gaming fix.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    Taking your argument a step further, another good option for many would be to just get a PC to cover most of their requirements, except 15h battery life which arguably few people would actually need, and optionally get a "cheap" Macbook Air for their Mac fix if needed. So far it's seems clear that the new Macbook falls way short on the GPU performance front alone to be a PC notebook killer.

dmanti and Papusan like this.
  9. Entionz

Entionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here specifically for the 16" MacBook Pro w/ M1 Max thermals under 100% combined CPU & GPU load, with max fans enabled. So stoked my Blade 15 was in it's return window.

10. etern4l

Reputations:
    Yeah, if super-low thermals are the main consideration, 5nm should deliver. In that case the Blade in particular, but perhaps almost any notebook sporting a high-performance GPU and Intel CPU was an odd choice to begin with.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021