Well boys, I'm done searchin!

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol.. you white out almost all the pictures that has your license in it besides one or two of them :p

2. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    looks in really good shape from your pics, you got a really good deal! Congrats and enjoy!

3. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats on your purchase. Don't forget to change the oil regularly, and use the same grade of oil as the previous owner.

4. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mobile 1 Synth :)

and i tried posting this earlier, bu my internet died (since MY internet is not in till monday)

nah, the aan310 is what i was going to do, but i diddn't... thats photoshop xD

Any way...

So reverse was just not being in gear all the way, so i'll have to watch that xD

But i was still getting the weird sound/feeling when shifting... (diddnt happen when going from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5, only 1 to 2 and 2 to 3) but its only sometimes...

and i made 100% sure i was fully engaging the clutch :/

Also, 1st time on the highway in my car today :)

Its pretty powerful for a 4cyl...

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Check if there is enough transmission oil, if it's OK, it doesn't sounds good for your tranny :(

Nice :)

6. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I really hate to the pessimist (ok, I lied, but I still don't like putting up something that might be bad news and take the lustre off the car for you), but that sounds like there's been undue wear and tear on the dogs (aka synchros) for the first and second gears. Typically those gears will show wear first because you're in and out of them more often, and shifting is frequently much faster in that gear range (especially on something fast that's probably been used to rabbit-start out of stop-lights).

Now would be a very, very good time to take it to a trusted mechanic who knows transmissions, and have him/her service the transmission - replace the gear oil and whatnot, and in particular check for wear on the gears and the synchros (which will include checking to see how bad the metal filings are in the gunk at the bottom of the transmission housing).

If you're lucky, the wear may not be so bad that the transmission needs replacing, and if you drive smart with it, don't put too much stress on first and second gears, and have the transmission oil changed frequently, you may never have to replace it; so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that either (i) I'm being unduly pessimistic, or (ii) it'll be something like what I just described.

7. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well....

Yesterday....

I was going home, and since there was construction i missed getting on the highway, so i went to a random street and made a uturn, but i had to reverse because i diddn't make it al the way around.

So, i stalled and two cops pulled out and were like "MOVE!" and i told them what happen (because i couldn't get it started.. idk why) and they were just kinda yelling at me, so i was rushed. I got it going and started down the ramp, but my parking break was on (because when they came over initially i put it up) so going down the ramp i couldn't figure out why i was going so slow, and 3 and 4 were being lame...

So, i just used 2 to get onto the highway because i couldnt really stop on the ramp, and one of the cops were coming too, and he was a jerk, so i diddnt want to talk to him again, so i figured once i was on teh highway i'd pull over and figure it out.

I then realized that i had the parking break in, so i poped into neutral, took it down, and for some reason i thought to go into 2nd (since that was what it was in at the time) and there was grinding :(

So i eventually poped into 4th and was fine.

But every shift over 2.8k rpm on 2nd does the kablerp now...

What i'm thinking I am going to do though is drive it "easy", especially for 1 2 and 3, and just wait to get any service done, since i still have warrenty and am bound to mess something else up again while learning

Sound like and ok plan?

P.S. Don't tell me how much of an idiot I am, i know this already

So yea, shyster i probably shot the syncro in 2nd, right?

8. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's quite possible. Hopefully, if the gearbox is shot, there's sufficient evidence that it was shot before you bought it (e.g., a lot of old metal filings in the gearbox oil), that you can make a valid claim under your warranty. Since warranties on used cars are usually pretty short, I would get it to your mechanic as soon as possible to have the tranny checked out.

9. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Having the parking brake up and accelerating will stress the drive train, so my guess is you did some damage. Though the synchos were already worn when you bought it so bad luck to begin with.

Heres a tip so you dont leave your handbrake up again.. Check your dash for any red lights (aka idiot lights) before driving off!! It happened to me before as well, now i have the compulsive habit of putting my hand near the parking brake and checking its all the way down.

Youll get used to driving manual sooner or later, just keep driving.

10. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    well, the warranty i have is another 44k and like 5 years on powertrain..

And I don't have a mechanic :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.