Well boys, I'm done searchin!

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Good job on the new car, I want my own but I could not afford it.

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm lucky to have the Grandparents and Great grandparents i have...

My Great-grandma is giving me $2,000 ONLY if i take her to church every sunday morning till she dies, and for my grandpa, he gave me $500 for building a deck and chopping down a tree, and various other house work i would have normally done free. So, now i have extra cash left over after the car, rather than being flat broke, which will be great, because i need insurance, now don't I :D :p

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
  4. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OMG ITS IN MY DRIVEWAY!!!

AHHHHHHH!!!

MY CAR!

THE ONE I WANTED!!!! :D

P.S. Stick is not too difficult... This is my 3rd time driving stick (both other times were for like 10 mins and 5 mins)

I stalled once on the way home, and while driving around at home i stalled once too... but it was a really scary stall, like the car was rocking back and i was off the clutch and break and gas, so i expected it to just stop, but i pressed the break and it was fine...

I still have some learning to do... I just hope I don't trash the clutch or tranny before im 'learn-ed'

In the mean time, tomorrow ill be at the DMV, and i'll prob pick up a wax kit at wal-mart and clean it too :D

I'm REALLY happy right now :D

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also... did i mention i paid $4,900 ?!?!?!??!

And a few quick questions about stick shift.....

So... If im reversing, is it ok to just have the car go while partially holding in the clutch, or is that bad (no gas pedal used)? (i think its called riding the clutch?)
    When im going from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, ect, should i let the clutch in and out slow, or fast?

Thanks!

6. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Riding the clutch is a very, very good way of making sure that your mechanic will never know the sorrows of poverty. Basically, when you ride the clutch, you're permitting it to essentially sand itself down - something that should be avoided unless you have a really good reason for doing it.

When you're shifting gears, the clutch should not be let out so fast that you haven't completed shifting into the next gear; otherwise, you'll chew up the dogs (devices that align the two gears so that they mesh properly when the gearshift is fully engaged), and once those go, you'll have a hard time shifting gears, and may have the gearshift start popping out of gear on its own. However, it also shouldn't be let out so slow that you are either basically riding the clutch (see above) or lose so much momentum that you have to drop back into the gear you just left.

BTW, now that you get to learn the pleasures of the art of manual shifting, make sure you learn how to downshift properly.

7. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've only driven stick a dozen times, but if I recall, as long as the clutch is not down when you're fully accelerating, you're golden.

You pretty much let go of the clutch when you feel the gears engage when you step on the gas.

Clutches last long in the more recent cars(last decade or two), so don't worry about it too much.

8. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So... what do i do if i am just edging forward or i don't want to back up fast then?
    Thanks!

9. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You work the clutch, which will involve a certain amount of letting it slip, although you don't have to keep it half-way depressed; e.g., in backing up, give it some gas with a good clutch, then step on the clutch and hold it down so you can moderate your reverse speed with the brakes instead.

Again, with edging forward, if you have to, you have to, just don't do it unnecessarily.

That is the main point, I think, don't leave your foot on the clutch pedal unnecessarily. The clutch will eventually wear itself out - that is the whole point of the clutch - but there is no point in unnecessarily accelerating that process.

As for letting the clutch go at the point of initial engagement of the gears - you have to learn to feel your own transmission, so you know when the gears are fully engaged, but if you're letting the clutch out before they are in fact fully engaged, you will be overstressing either the gear teeth or the dogs, and you will ultimately regret it.

That's why manual shift is an art, not a merely mechanical process that can be completely captured in a flow-chart or algorithm. You really do have to learn to feel what your transmission (and your engine) are doing, and what that should be telling you about how the car's performing.

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Shyster has this one well covered. Even the part about how each clutch is different and you just have to learn yours. Some grab at the top, others at the bottom, some only grab in a short range, others in a longer range. You just have to drive it and learn it. One thing thats nice about most cars, you have a hand brake. Thats a VERY valuable tool to use when learning(you don't have that option in a truck). So you can set the brake while on a hill and use your feet on the clutch and gas, instead of trying to go from the foot brake to the gas while on the clutch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.