Weird problems with Asus G73JW-A1

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by ispeshaled, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinicel

stinicel Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm new here and well, I've been following this forum for sometime now. I have the same issues, but mine poses a seemingly very unique problem which no one in any other forums I've researched have addressed which I hope you all can shed some light on. I have experienced BSODs on my system as well, but not because of the problems explained here (sleep settings, hibernation etc.) My system is other wise a super-solid, super-fast system (like everyone else's system here), and I do photo and film editing on it with amazing results.

Get this though.... the only time that my system gets a BSOD is when I am connected to a network and a freakin MAC logs on to it. My girlfriends MacBook Pro apparently is an 'G73 killer' ;). Anyways, it happens with all Macs so far. The only place I can safely connect without crashing is of course a place with no MACs (obviuously), and a place like Starbucks where there is an additional log on procedure req'd to get their wifi. What's in place there that prevents Macs from crashing my system? In any other unsecured cafe, it's embarrassing have my stealth fighter laptop BSOD in a room full of Macs, believe me.

I've tried many proposed fixes with no positive results. I just sent a tech request to XoticPC PC about and waiting for their response. I've lived with it since October but really, I would simply like to just surf in peace you know what I mean? But aside from squeaky left Ctrl and Shift keys, it's been a pleasure using this computer.

Do any of you have any suggestions or similar issues? Thank you in advance.

2. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have Itunes loaded? Also I would go in and unload any Apple software that the Mac's might be polling for. I can see where that would cause a issue. Check this and see what you have loaded and give this a try first. Let us know the outcome if you would.

3. Ace-S

Ace-S Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

I have the same problems described here, freezes and occasional USB failures. No surprise, the ASUS support partner here in Germany said they hadn't heard about such issues with the G73JW series and it must be a solitary case. Yeah right! :mad:

However, today I've found out that when such a freeze occurs and you then disconnect the power supply, the laptop shuts itself down immediateley, even if the battery is still on 100%. Anyone else observed this? Could it be that the problem has something to do with the battery? :confused: It sure does look like a hardware problem, doesn't it?

Ace-S

from www.lieferheld.de in Berlin

4. greenprell

greenprell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How many of you all use the gaming mouse that came with the G73JW?

5. veriatech

veriatech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today is a bad day... a VERY bad day...

So far (about a quarter of the way through my work day), was in Photoshop editing a piece and wham! Computer locks hard. Screen freezes... nothing can be accessed except the good 'ol power off button to reboot.

Not one hour later, surfing the web to find a Blu-ray Disc authoring app, was on the Sony website, clicked a link and BAM! Screen goes BLACK and the computer is now rebooting! What's up with that?

Hmmmmm.... Now getting more frustrated by the day... Such sporadic behavior. I bought mine from Circuit City online in December because they had a $100 rebate and I only ended up paying $1299 for this unit, which was a smokin' good deal... but... now I'm not really sure... thing may be going back or RMA'd soon. I cannot deal with such instability. My Hackintosh is more solid than this thing!!!

6. greenprell

greenprell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    veriatech,

Did you have a browser open at the time? I feel like Flash has been causing these lockups (possibly along with the ASUS programs). I installed an addon for Firefox called Flashblock, so that Flash elements don't run until I click on them, and that has helped.

7. veriatech

veriatech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    greenprell,

Yes, I did have a browser open, as I usually always have at least 2 or 3 browser sessions in IE, Firefox, Chrome running at all times. I am a designer / developer so in addition to browser apps, Adobe apps are usually always open as well. I will give the Flashblock a try... willing to try just about anything at this point! Thanks!

8. TridenT

TridenT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same problem here, I tried all the steps described in the topic and still freezin and getting the usb error...

9. stinicel

stinicel Newbie

Reputations:

Hey Battlenut, that is a good point. Unfortunately I do not have Itunes installed, since I dislike Itunes. But I do have Sharepod installed. Do you think there's any connection there? There is also Quicktime Alternative.... I'll uninstall those and get back to you.

Sorry to hear about these lockups people. I don't seem to have any of these problems yet and wish I was more computer savvy to help. Though there is this:

When I first received my computer, I loaded up CS4 so that I can get to work. I noticed compared to my old Sager (that tanked), it wasn't performing that much better. I went to 64bit CS4 and it was much better, but it locked up on one of my editing sessions. This was in October. After it happened again, I looked online and all I found was cases on how crappy Asus bundled software was so I went ahead and used the enclosed recover disk and went through a clean install. After which I pretty much uninstalled everything especially Splendid. I left only Power4GearHybrid, the latest version, Nvidia 260.99, and Wireless Console. Asus Data Security Manager and SmartLogon is still there too but I've never used them.

I have had any trouble with lockups since except the aforementioned issue with Macs crashing my system. Hope this helps and thanks Battlenut for the suggestion.

10. Ace-S

Ace-S Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: I took out the battery and the freezes and USB failures have completely stopped!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.