Weird General Laptop Questions (Been out of the loop a long time)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by seenoevil, Jul 21, 2020.

1. seenoevil

seenoevil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I apologize for not using the form but my questions are odd. I wanted the best amd apu laptop available now but I have concerns and am thinking I might need one with discrete gpu.

1. All of the new amd zen 4k apu's (at this point in time anyway) appear to be 'U' amended. Does that mean they are just low voltage or are they also considered ultrabooks and everything is soldered in place? I don't necessarily want to upgrade the apu but I might need to upgrade/change the HD, RAM and wifi chip.

2. If the answer to the above is "yes" and "yes" and I need to get a regular profile cpu laptop with discrete gpu, what low-end gaming laptops are easier to disassemble between Dell, HP, and Acer? I don't want to deal with any others.

3. Of the above three, which has better overall support and quality these days in low-end gaming laptops?

4. Of the above three, which company generally has a more open/crackable BIOS in their low-end gaming laptops? Or is that not even possible these days?

Thank you.

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    See my point of comments above in color in quote.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One thing to beware of in a laptop is soldered (i.e. not upgradeable) RAM, which is becoming more and more prevalent (even in gaming notebooks). Double-check the laptop's specs that it has So-DIMM slots. Just post a link to the laptop you're looking at if you're unsure.

Charles

4. seenoevil

Reputations:
    Thank you so much guys! I might have to take a look at these other companies.

So Clevo makes the motherboard, sells complete laptops under Sager. Schenker, Tuxedo, MechRevo, underKG take Clevo motherboards and do custom builds. Is that correct? Are there any others? Trying to figure out the hierarchy here.

Not being able to swap parts out or having a locked BIOS is completely insane to me.

5. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    Clevo builds the base with motherboard sourced elsewhere. Clevo, together with TongFang- another ODM builder, assembles the base with chassis, motherboard, cooling solution, monitor screens, and ship it out to different resellers around the world where the latter will put in own badges, put in the other key components such as CPU, Rams, Storage(SSD/HDD), WiFi module, resells to buyers depending on the resources of the second stage components available in their markets for 2nd stage customization and finalize assembly.
    Clevo doesn't make first stage components like motherboard, screens, fans, dGPU...

6. seenoevil

Reputations:
    Do these smaller companies like I mentioned above source their motherboards from different companies than the big players do? Like that MechRevo Code1 with 4800h apu. Why are they the only ones releasing that unique configuration?

7. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    MechRevo is not the only small brand to source the base with 4800H+91whr big batt from TongFang.
    From Germany, Schenker offers Windows OS in VIA15Pro, Tuxedo Computer with Ubuntu based OS in Pulse15, also with such base from TongFang.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schen...-a-2-TB-SSD-and-a-91-Wh-battery.479001.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tuxed...Renoir-APUs-and-a-91-Wh-battery.482438.0.html
    From Korea, Hansung Computers with their TFX5470HW
    http://global.11st.co.kr/glb/produc...ethod=getSellerProductDetail&prdNo=2908568942