Web hosting and domain services? Advice, please

Discussion in 'Programming and Homework Questions' started by joeqan, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeqan

joeqan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure lots of users on this site have their own businesses or work with websites, so hopefully someone here can help.

I have my own business and luckily we've done pretty well up to now without a website. We've done the majority of our marketing in local ads, signs, social media, word of mouth, etc. But I think it's time to step it up and make a website. It's kinda been on the back burner for a while as we have been pretty tight on staffing and I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate it to making the site what I want it to be, but now the opportunity has come for me to get started on one.

I've been doing my research and there are absolutely loads more hosting services and domain providers than I thought there were. I have a good idea on who is good and who isn't, but just wanted some extra feedback. I'm looking at potentially doing my hosting through 1and1 (link attached for reference) and I might dabble into their web builder, too. I'm not 100% certain on it and just wanted to see if any one else has opinions about them or have some other hosting services that they highly recommend.

I basically need something that can manage a simple site for now, but that can also handle accepting of payments and such if my business needs to expand and do online sales. So, something simple for now with the ability to grow with my business.

Thanks for the help.

JQ

2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries https://chromebookbuyer.com Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Choosing a web host can be overwhelming. There are so many to choose from and more or less all hosts offer the same set of basic features in their packages. One thing to be aware of is that some hosts will give you a free or significantly reduced domain registration with web hosting, but they may retain ownership of the domain. It's usually a better idea to get your domain from a registrar instead of a web host.

The best thing you can do is to find hosts that have good reviews for their customer service. That's what really differentiates the companies. See their downtime stats if they are available as well.

Here are some resources:

Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet

Web Hosting Reviews: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Web Hosting Geeks — Your Guide to Web Hosting & Website Solutions

Hosting Review: Compares, Rates & Reviews Best Web Hosting Companies.

katalin_2003 and hizzaah like this.
  3. joeqan

joeqan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice.

I have heard that I should try to keep my domain and hosting separate in case there are any problems. Seems like a good idea to me.

I went through all the links you shared (thank you very much) and got some much needed insight on some companies. I guess I just needed a something trustworthy and that would push me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers