1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Was your HP Envy 14 with Radiance display order cancelled? Post here!

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by garetjax, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garetjax

garetjax NBR Freelance Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Just received an e-mail with the following:

So, I called HP and just got off the phone with their customer service. I was told that the HP Envy 14 laptop order I placed will be cancelled tomorrow (21 Jan, 2011) due to the Radiance display stock being depleted. However, I was given two "compelling" offers:

1) Switch to BrightView display and upgrade RAM to 8GB (+$150 upgrade) and HDD to 750GB (+90 upgrade).

2) Go with the HP DM4t with BrightView display, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for about $650.

The CSR I spoke to was very nice and professional, and pretty apologetic. When I pushed for a better "compelling offer" the CSR offered to upgrade the i5-560M CPU in my Envy 14 (let's be real, the offers they are giving customers who ordered the Envy 14 with a Radiance display is pretty bad)

Apparently there are 16-20 people that will not be getting their Radiance display in their Envy 14, and the CSR said that another list is forthcoming with more customers to be contacted about the issue.

I would like this thread to serve as a log as to who can get a good "compelling" offer that everyone else can follow to maximize the compensation of HP selling products for which they do not have on hand (could have legal ramifications, bait and switch tactics, etc.)

Feel free to post what offer you accepted or what other deal you wrangled from HP to compensate for the lack of Radiance displays in your Envy 14.

**UPDATE**

After many lengthy phone conversations, e-mails, stressing, private cursing, and general headaches, I finally received the Envy 14 I originally ordered, complete with a Radiance display. Something can be said about persistence and not taking 'no' as an answer.

You can read the update in full HERE.

2. aznanarchy99

aznanarchy99 Notebook Consultant

Oh hell if I get that I will be pissed. I sold my envy that I already had to get one of these. The only way that they could possibly make it better for me is if they have me an ssd.

Quick question, when did you order yours?

3. jdane770

jdane770 Notebook Consultant

Oh no, I hope I dont get mine cancelled, I ordered at around 6pm which is 6 hrs before expiration date

4. dkimxd

dkimxd Notebook Guru

i'd say push for a ssd

5. jdane770

jdane770 Notebook Consultant

If they cancel our order, do u think we can get a good discount for the upcoming Envy 17 on late February? or they can only discount and what they have now?

6. 2.0™

2.0™ NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

They can only offer you what they have now.

7. garetjax

garetjax NBR Freelance Reviewer NBR Reviewer

I placed my order on 18 Jan, 2011.

Honestly, I don't know. I had the same idea while speaking to HP, and it appears that it may be possible to use the SNAFU with the Envy 14 and lack of Radiance display to leverage on the acquisition of a discounted Envy Sandy Bridge platform notebook which is soon to be released.

While talking with the CSR from HP, I also asked the following:

1) Since I am adamant about having a Radiance display in my Envy 14, I asked when will HP have more in stock to complete the order? I was told that the manufacturer that initially made the Radiance displays went out of business and that HP had to find a comparable company to make them. However, he doesn't know if that company is still making the displays and/or how long it will take to replenish HP's supply. I was told that HP will check into it and get back to me.

2) I also asked when HP will receive the i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs for their Envy 14 and Envy 17 models. I was told that HP will also look into that and get back to me with that information.

Getting back to the "compelling offers", and if you take them at face value, it seems like a slap in the face. For example, in Offer #1, HP is simply deducting $200 off your purchase price for the Radiance display and tacking on about $200 of un-needed and unwanted hardware upgrades to get the price back to what it was. My point to HP was that if I had wanted those upgrades (which I don't), I would have ordered my Envy 14 with them.

The second offer isn't much better, as they are simply slapping together a low-end 14" laptop which is essentially a stripped down, wannabe Envy notebook for around $600. It would be like if you had gone to HP and purchased that laptop straight out with a $500 coupon. Therefore, how could this be a "compelling offer"? The dm4t isn't even on the same level as an Envy 14.

8. bigphil233

bigphil233 Notebook Geek

I'm glad you ordered on Tuesday, not Monday because that gives me a better shot of actually getting my ordered computer. I'm sorry that you got screwed. Honestly I'd either ask for them to let you purchase a sandy bridge envy when available at a slight discount, or push for a SSD. I believe someone else had that compromise available in another topic because someone was offering their radiance + 500gb in exchange for the SSD and brightview. If they only offer this, and you still don't like the machine just accept it for 900 bucks and sell it on ebay for a slick profit and wait for a Sandy bridge to make your own discount.

9. aznanarchy99

I ordered mine on the 15th and they gave me a phone call on the 18th which was the next business day to confirm my order for production so hopefully I'm good. I wouldn't go any less than a ssd.

10. waleed786

waleed786 Notebook Evangelist

like dximkd said, push for an SSD. Its the only thing that would be good enough to compensate for the radiance display.

To everyone who had theirs cancelled, was the hp status "in production" when it was cancelled? Mine is in production so is it safe to assume that I'm guaranteed the radiance?

11. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

I would like point to everyone here that HP was only going to make this a limited time offer and that they were just binning out the remaining stocks they had left. So for them to say that they ran out of Radiance is possible. However, they are not nice for leaving the order button active for order when they did ran out.

That being said, just bin any offers they throw at you as an alternative, especially if you are just ordering for Radiance. I am sure I can get a 750 GB HDD and 8 GB of DDR 3 RAM cheaper than what they offer you and the DM4t is a super downgrade from the specifications of the Envy 14.

Or demand an SSD. An 128 GB + Capacity one.

12. amtbr

amtbr Notebook Consultant

Mine got canceled, placed the order Jan 15th, I got an email saying "order declined" called up HP a couple days ago to ask whats going on, they said oh nothing don't worry about it, its processing. I call today for a status update, my order is gone, officially canceled and now I can't re-order a radiance display.

Guy was apologetic, according to him they "released only 400 new radiance screens."

They wouldn't even offer me a special discount or anything, I just had to wait for another coupon to reappear. The sales rep claimed he couldn't give me a personalized coupon code to use in the future, just had to dig through logicbuy and the forums to find another...He was going to attempt to offer me a deal on a brightview Envy, but I don't want that, thats why I've waited 3 months searching for laptops.

13. bigphil233

bigphil233 Notebook Geek

Ugh, I hope I don't get effed over too. That'd suck a big one.

14. aznanarchy99

Did you get a phone call to confirm your order?

15. amtbr

I got a call from HP, I picked up, it was garbled nonsense, I called the number back, it was HP and I said I want to confirm my order and I did so, they said OK you should see a processing status change in the next business day, couple of days passed, so I called today on a hunch and sure enough they just canceled it out of the blue.

16. bigphil233

bigphil233 Notebook Geek

What did your online status say? I'm worried about mine now. This goes for amtbr as well as any of the other people who got cancelled. No email saying I'm boned yet, and I'm crossing my fingers.

17. aznanarchy99

I guess I'm not safe either then but my order status says in production estimated date of Feb first.

18. amtbr

Unfortunately, there are no legal ramifications here, there was no bait and switch, you weren't duped into buying something else. All we lost is time. As far as I am concerned, the unprofessional actions of HP have lost them a customer forever. I've never bought an HP computer, but with all the rave reviews of the Envy, I figured why not. But this is just garbage, and the offering the sales rep gave me was a joke, get back in line with the rest of the chumps was the message I got. This lack of professionalism at a basic level, just taking sales and making money, makes me seriously consider one the quality of these laptops and two what kind of horrid customer service I will get if something does go wrong.

Oh my order just said processing on Monday, now that I check it says order declined.

19. bigphil233

bigphil233 Notebook Geek

Awesome, so now no one is safe, so happy.... hoping monday at 10am will make it in, but if there was only 400 available I'm very skeptical. Good luck to everyone.

20. amtbr

Yeah dude, good luck, I ordered mine Saturday and it got canceled. When the call started, he was ready to take my "re-order" so I asked if I could still get the radiance screen and I explained to him how it was a limited release, he said let me check, on hold for 2 minutes, came back w/ the 400 #

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.