Was Windows Vista THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by hmscott, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    See, the thing with Windows Vista, was that there were two types of certification.

[​IMG]

Any computer that had the 'basic' logo, or had another logo: [​IMG] would experience extremely sub-par performance.

I got a brand-new desktop in 2007, which had 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (high-end at the time). It had zero issues with Vista. I agree with @ssj92: Vista was (and still is) Microsoft's best-looking OS, and oddly enough, Apple's OS from the same era, Mac OS X Leopard, was equally good-looking. Both fully utilising the 3D capability of the GPU to provide a seriously beautiful user experience, that has since been steamrollered over by the 'flat' design language.

Vista got a huge UI overhaul; some icons from the Vista era still haven't been replaced in 10.

Raiderman, Woodking, ssj92 and 2 others like this.
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I could never understand all the complains about Vista, I had it on my work computer and never had any problems at all.
    Win 10 is another story altogether, I've been struggling with it since pretty much first days it was released and it still the same garbage. And all those new programs designed for Win10, I get WTF moment almost every time I use them and it's such an effort to get rid of them all.

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Vista was ahead of its time and sadly a lot of PCs wasnt ready for it due to compatibility issues. The system requirements for it was pretty demanding at the time. Back in 2007 i bought my first laptop that came with Vista and I didnt really have issues with Vista but it became very stable after the service packs and then after Windows 7 was released to the public i quickly upgraded but i still enjoyed using Vista because of the UI. When people say that Vista was Microsoft's worst OS they have no clue about Windows ME which was unstable as hell and it was quickly dropped by Microsoft because it was that bad. My first PC came with Windows ME so i experienced all of the problems with it. I had to upgrade to Windows XP because Microsoft Office 2003 wouldnt install on ME and we needed it in order to do a school project.

Despite of Vista's bad reputation a lot of good things came out of it, mostly Windows 7 which was Vista was supposed to be and also it helped create future OSes like Windows 7/8/8.1 and 10 since they was built on the same kernel as Vista.

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Very well said! I use Vista on my Dell Adamo 13, they looks georgeos together. I would install even on a modern hardware, but the Windows 7 trick somehow not working...

hmscott likes this.
  5. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is certain that Vista is far way better than 10 and can slightly compete with 7. Have been using Vista for years and besides Microsoft crapwares like Winows Update and some missing features like SSD TRIM, it is tamed and mature Windows edition that you can use. My 2 cents.

Atom Ant and hmscott like this.
  6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    SSD Trim started in W7. No Vista was good for it's time but O/S moves on for security and hardware reasons. Technologies moves on that is the nature of Computers and O/S and it won't stop. Windows 10 has elements of 7 and XP as Microsoft learned the lesson from Win8 debacle. If you haven't tried W10 as your older hardware will not work isn't a reason to be biased against W10. I can use your second line and instead of "vista" but "Window7" in place and the format would be different. They can't continue to support outdate O/S that is the fact of O/S lifespan. You can still use the older O/S but connecting to the internet increases the security risk a botnet or malware laden site will be waiting to load onto your system because it sees outdated O/S that won't protect your system anymore. Updated A/V will not protect any more then a user whom clicks on a infected email or link or site that more or less gives permission to launch the malware.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I find using something like uBlock Origin on chrome or most decent adblocks do a very good job at protecting you from most things.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, also ScriptSafe + Ghostery + Youtube Ad Blocker help to reduce the network / compute load, and TheGreatSuspender recovers lost cycles on otherwise hidden "idle" tabs.

Running all of those extensions and more even on 10 year old hardware still runs great. It's amazing how much extra you can get out of that old hardware if you can "hold your nose" at the lack of "power". ;)

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    uBlock Origin works on video sites like youtube as well so one less extension needed. :p

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ublock origin misses some, the YAB finds and blocks ad's I would otherwise see - that's why I added it, current count shown by YAB is 87,846 blocked with 1 day 19 hours and 38 minutes saved otherwise lost time watching ad's. YAB also blocks Facebook Ad's. :)