Was Windows Vista THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by hmscott, Nov 18, 2018.

1. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing of what you mentioned made any difference for me, I had forgotten all those things. :)

The biggest selling point for me was the task bar. Now I could FINALLY use the same button to start a program, AND to switch between programs. No more need for the quick launch buttons.
    This made it possible to finally ditch the Start menu. I kept most programs in the Task bar, and those programs I rarely used I just searched for.

So yeah, the Start menu has pretty much only been a search window for me for 9 years, and that's why I didn't mind the new looks of Windows 8's new Start, because pressing the windows key and start typing worked just like before. I prefer using the keyboard for this.
    YMMV if you're more mouse oriented and just love to dig into complicated trees of subfolders with programs in the Start menu.

Also I remember the stock folder structure in Vista being very cluttered even at first boot with no programs installed, can't remember why tho.

Are we talking about Vista RTM or Vista SP2? I wouldn't really mind using the latter even today. IMO there's a bigger difference between Vista RTM and Vista SP2, than Vista SP2 and W7 RTM.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Forget Windows 10, it's Windows Vista -- 2018 Edition we want! Betanews.com
    People have often said that Microsoft operating systems follow a pattern, with good and bad versions alternating -- Windows 95 (bad), Windows 98 (good), Windows Me (bad), Windows XP (good), Windows Vista (bad), Windows 7 (good), Windows 8.x (bad), Windows 10 (good -- now at least).

It’s mostly true, although if Windows Vista had been given the same length of life that Windows 10 has enjoyed to date, there’s a good chance a large portion of Windows users would still be using it today. Vista wasn’t bad as such, just very unfinished. If the aging OS had a modern makeover, could it win over Windows 10 users? I suspect so. Feast your eyes on the Windows Vista -- 2018 Edition and make up your own mind.

And if all this talk of Vista has you feeling nostalgic for the 11 year-old OS, perhaps you'd care to read our launch story from 2007!

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Not to mention Vista SP2 with the Platform update made Vista even more closer to 7 with things like DX11.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me I really liked Windows Vista. It was a huge jump over windows XP in terms of visuals mainly, and the addition of some neat things here and there.

My computer was top of the line at the time, so I had no issues whatsoever.
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600
    Nv 8800 512 MB
    4GB RAM

Good times :)

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Vista was ok after the service packs.
    the problem at launch was there were very few drivers ready for Vista, so many people were encountering errors and crashes and an unusable system. Windows XP (ignoring the bad 64 bit only version) used a 32 bit core with the legacy 16 bit core, allowing 32 and 16 bit code to run fine (just not real mode DOS applications). Vista (64 bit) removed that and stuff wasn't ready.

When windows 7 came out, the drivers were ready (if not, Vista drivers worked).

Vasudev likes this.
  6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I ran two screens back then. With XP I could only run video on the main monitor, on secondary I would get just a black square.
    With Vista I could play video on both monitors but OS would crash, if I moved a playing video from one monitor to another. No driver update ever fixed that. That feature alone was big enough for me to continue using Vista on that computer.

When Win7 came out, I could actually do it without crashing. Woo.

triturbo, toughasnails and hmscott like this.
  7. sixor

sixor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IT WAS AWESOME

THE LOOKS OMG, xp looks like win 3.1 lol, so outdated

and the gpu UI, OMG, so fluid, but yes, it was taxing on **** pcs with intel gma 945 (almost every laptop at the time)

also performance in games was a little slower, but it was fixed well over the time,

using ati x800pro
    2gb
    pentieum 4 ht 3.4ghz

it was ok for the time

i gamed on xp and used vista for everything else

i hated the annoying new drivers, and how it kill old games, this was a pain, no msdos, no win98 95 games,

Vasudev, toughasnails and hmscott like this.
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Hmm ... $3,092.61 laptop ran XP fine at 1920x1200p, but Vista couldn't. By the time time 7 came out it was another laptop, so it didn't matter anymore and never missed the bling anyway; 7s are also running XP-style (and so are any Windows Server VMs under my control :vbbiggrin: ).

Heck, I'd run those things black-and-white if that'd do them any good ...

Shawn, Vasudev, toughasnails and 2 others like this.
  9. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    For me, Vista really was THAT bad when it came out. Compatibility issues (non-graphical) made my favorite game all but unplayable, to the point that I played it on a hopelessly outdated Northwood Pentium 4 instead. Graphical artifacts made about 40% of the levels of my second-favorite game unplayable. My chipset or CPU produced an obnoxious electrical noise while in Vista. And I think there was at least one other fairly major issue that escapes me at the moment. But all of these issues went away when I switched to XP.

This was with a fairly high-end laptop for 2007, the Inspiron whose specs are in my sig, minus a couple intervening CPU/RAM/SSD upgrades.

And it had been sufficiently painful that I never went back to Vista, nor to 7, which as Khenglish pointed out was essentially Vista with the rough edges smoothed out. Perhaps with SP1 or SP2, it would have been tolerable, and the community eventually figured out how to make my favorite game run well with Vista (it took awhile), but after seeing all my issues disappear with XP, I had no desire to go back and find out.

toughasnails likes this.
  10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations: