Was Windows Vista THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by hmscott, Nov 18, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    From my perspective the whole problem with Windows Vista was hardware marketed as Vista Ready that was subpar at best. I was already at the cutting edge of hardware for so long at that point that I used and recommended the latest CPU, memory, GPU and recommend such for all the machines friends and clients wanted to run with Windows Vista, so we had no problems. Being a gamer with high end GPU's helped as well. Many people weren't so lucky, hence the bad rep for a great OS.

Fortunately for Microsoft Windows 7 was a winner out of the gate - especially with the 3 years of hardware upgrades (and upgrade requirement awareness) that had come into users hands from the Vista launch. :)

I've gotta believe that Windows 10 is going to be similarly derided in the future, once we escape this period of privacy invasion infatuation we are in right now. Having gone through both Vista and Windows 10 time periods, watching all the pain inflicted on users in both generations, Windows 10 is far, far worse.

Was Windows Vista THAT bad?
    Linus Tech Tips
    Published on Nov 17, 2018

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    KING19, Woodking, Maleko48 and 4 others like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I used Vista from launch and had no real issues. Service Pack 1 was a major upgrade that silenced most of the critics I knew online at the time.

Jarhead, jaybee83, ssj92 and 2 others like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I liked Vista. Major upgrade from XP. I had decent hardware too so for me it ran good.

I think the major issue of the time was, the hardware wasn't there for the general public. You had to be a gamer damn near to have a vista ready PC.

Most consumer computers barely met minimal requirements.

Second issue was drivers.

Other than that it was good and it was going a great direction Vista>7 until 10 came along of course. :rolleyes:

8/8.1 was fine once you installed something like startisback.

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  4. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish i could roll back to 7 or even 8.1. I have never had to deal with so much bull till 10 came around.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    At the time I was on Windows XP Pro x64 - so I had already picked hardware that had x64 driver support on Windows, which rolled over to Windows Vista x64 as well, so no driver problems for my build at least.

There were issues for printer drivers, but network printing worked till those new drivers came out, and they came out pretty quickly.

Given all the hoopla about Windows Vista and the Windows 7 upcoming "potential" for similar issues I elected to join the Windows 7 roll out party deal and got in early on the development as well.

Windows 7 was a total non-issue except for minor driver updates, must be the cleanest Windows roll out ever.

If Microsoft could pull that off with a cleaned up fully QA'd Windows 11 release, I might just be interested again... fat chance that happening, but one can dream. :)

Woodking and NuclearLizard like this.
  6. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the big issue I'm having right now is every time I turn around half my damn drivers are deleted.

I have a killer 1535 and 2400 in this laptop that I cant even use because windows 10 wont let me install or keep the drivers.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For me an OS is a tool to run my apps/programs. Vista served me just fine in that regard, as did Windows 7 and 8/8.1, and now 10.

From what I recall with Vista, a lot of hardware/software companies didn't produce drivers that met Microsoft's requirements. But Microsoft took the blame.

That said, I do believe 7 is what Vista should have been. Simple things like being able to move the order of open applications on the taskbar were long overdue. This all seems obvious now, if only it was at the time.

Charles

triturbo and hmscott like this.
  8. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Just before Vista came out I bought 2 Dells. A 17" Studio and a 17" XPS full loaded ($5500.00) for the 2 of them. Both had XP Pro and they worked great. At the time since I just got them Dell had a deal on Vista so I grabbed it and boy was that a big mistake. After installing it them 2 Dells were so slow . I never seen anything like it. Even after the service pack was installed it never helped one bit. I went back to XP Pro on my XPS but the girlfriend kept Vista on hers until W7 came out then we both upgraded to W7. That was the easiest upgrade I have ever done and she still uses her Studio 1710 to this day which is at least 8 years old and works just as good as any new one. My XPS is still going strong with W7 but I only use it now in my tv room. Both will never see Vista on them again for sure. As far as I am concerned Vista is just like W10 but with a little less window dressing.

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I still think Windows Vista is the best looking windows OS. The wallpaper, the theme, everything looks elegant.

Windows 7 gets second place from me.

10. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I always found it funny the love for Win7 and the hate for Vista. All Win7 was was a service pack for Vista that Microsoft decided to charge money for. Even microsoft decided to shun Vista by not offering updates for it despite Vista and 7 basically having the same kernel and driver models.

I'm just trying to think of what changed between Vista and 7:

1. An intermediate options between UAC fully on or fully off was introduced. Actually implementing this change for MS in code was trivial.

2. GPU drivers from multiple vendors could run at the same time. This may or may not have required significant work.

3. The extra ring around the windows start logo was removed.

4. ???

By charging money for Win7 instead of just making it a service pack, MS somehow got a clean slate image for reselling the same thing. Also no one cared that MS started putting in arbitrary road blocks for Vista users in the form of dropping update support and drivers that support win7 refusing to even attempt to install on Vista.